litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

K Series Engine Oil........ What Ya Using?

John FISH Curtis

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anything none VHPD i would use this

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1146-silkolene-pro-s-5w-40-ester-synthetic-oil-for-high-performance-engines.aspx

I know its not cheap and its a Rover shopping trolley engine but if you use it as you should you need some good stuff :)

I'm trying to sort a noisy tappet at the moment and have been told that an oil such as 10w40 would be better for K-series lumps. I currently have 5w30 in (not put in by me) and it could be a source to my current noise issue.

My car has always been a bit tappety on tickover to some extent. Over the last couple of years I've been running the race oil that Martin's linked to and I reckon it does make the noise more pronounced. The car's running great and it may just be paranoia getting the better of me but I'm starting to think take the head off and fit new tappets. The problem with that is I then start thinking whilst the heads off I could have DVA do some porting and fit new cams and an Emerald and verniers etc.... Not sure I could justify that bit of a job just now, given my recent seat expenditure :blush:

My car has always been slightly tappety too, but after the last HGF it is much worse and even starts sounding whilst the engine is hot and been running for some time. Before it was just on the occasional start up and not all the time. I've having an oil and filter change done next wednesday (I don't have time to do it myself this weekend) so I can see if this is any form of solution.

I've also checked my invoice of work done from the HGF repair and they have used 0w40, not 5w30 as i thought.

I spoke to Guy, i think it was at Opie Oils. He recommended 5w - 40 for the Elise. I dont just make these things up, honest :P I expect if you have a noisey tappet, the oil hole in the side is full of gunk and needs cleaning out. You can take them apart to clean them IIRC. A bit of a job to get at them mind.

BTW, i use 15w - 50 on my VHPD as thats what it says to use under the engine cover lid :)

Archived