litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Another Mods Question

Kris H

Folks

I was talking to Owen at Stoneleigh and have read some posts on SELOC from Yvo and co regarding sensible order to do the various mods etc and the general view seems to be:

exhaust/cat (done)

induction

TB

manifold

The questions I have are:

What does the manifold do to help? Is it to do with engine breathing?

What TB should I go for (bearing in mind I have an S2 111s)? Owen seemed to think that this would make a particular difference.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Kristian :lol:

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Morning Kris,

Don't know about the manifold, save for it allows the engine to breath better. The throttle body ... most go for the 160 Trophy throttle body (52mm).

Induction ... thoroughly recommend the hurricane ... good sound and (very subjective) improved throttle response :wacko:

Induction is probably worth doing as it is economical for a fairly good gain - especially if you have exhaust and cat done, don't listen to strees though, get the Hurricane, I have no idea why he hates it so much :wacko:

The manifold does help an awful lot with breathing, it is worth doing too as combined with the rest you would move the air a lot more freely and the noise should take on a rather pleasant sound. Most manifolds tend to give a healthy improvement to mid range torque too....

As for the TB i should have thought the S2 111S had the 52mm TB already????

As for the TB i should have thought the S2 111S had the 52mm TB already????

You would think that I would know this really, but Owen definitely said something about many folks changing for the aluminium TBs and I'm not so sure that they weren't a different size as well. Hopefully Simon Dann or an equally helpful bod will know such things. It might just be because the plastic ones are a bit crap and can stick rather than anything else.

Having been a member of SELOC for six months or so, I am not entirely surprised by the recommendation of Mr Trees! :( Having said that I will do this I think, although don't know whether to go for an ITG instead. (nice to meet you on the run the other day Simon by the way - obviously not in a mental stalker kind of way!)

I was thinking about going for the S190 a while back but given that the car's only about 18 months old, and with the other mods etc, I'm probably as well going for a few more mods etc first and then maybe think about changing up in a year or two. I know everyone says that the new exige looks arse but I don't agree - although can't really be doing with permanent hardtop... :drive:

The S2 111s does have the larger TB and it is the cast alloy type not the crappy plastic thing found on the earlier models. The S2 also has probably more restriction on the air filter set up so I guess would benifit from the Hurricane even more.

Will let you know when I fit mine! :(

Dave :drive:

If you've got the option Kris, the 190 they have at NW is gorgeous... and i have been a passenger in one and they nothing short of amazing!

As an everyday experience they may be just a touch too raw, the 111S is definitely the best one for that.. depends what you are after though.

The ITG is judged to be the best, but not many people reckon it is sufficiently better than the Hurricane to warrant a double the price tag.... the Reverie one from Owen looks good, carbon fibre and priced between the Hurricane and ITG - be different, get that!

I am glad the 111S has the TB as that would have been quite shocking if it didn't! Hopefully i should have mine soon....

Yup your car will have the 160tb already. Induction makes it roar a lot more when you accelerate. :(

Manifold is ok but I didnt personally notice much difference apart from my car sounded different, like you were blowing down a long metal pipe :drive: In fact most of the mods make very little difference on their own except for noise.

I think a few bhp here and there is hard to notice, the Hurricane was the thing I noticed the most difference with as I kept hitting the rev limiter as it revved more freely. The 160tb is the one thing I wouldnt personally bother with if I bought another Elise but each to their own.

The manifold is expensive, and can be difficult to change. Unless you are screwing every last hp out the car already then not worth the trouble and expense IMHO.

Suspension and 1st Lotus days will increase your speed more than hp will.

Nuts - if you lot could all arrange to have exactly the same opinion in future it would be really helpful! ;) General consensus seems to be that the manifold may do a bit of good, but is a luxury rather than a must, but the induction is a must - everyone seems to say that. The suspension I was looking at but with my insurance I can get away with a few extra bhp here and there and stay within the 'up to 10%' price band, so it won't go up anymore. I am told that I could have a big increased premium with the suspension at the moment so that will have to be one for later.

This TB thing is getting on my wick though - Dave - when did you get your car? I am now thoroughly confused as my tb is definitely a crappy plastic thing (I just went to check again) but I suspect that it may be the larger size. The car was July 02, which was basically when the S2 111s came out, or within a month or two anyway.

Mark - you are right about 1st lotus and suspension. I am going to do further 1st lotus days as the biggest obstacle to better performance is definitely in the driver's seat.

Scott - I have thought a lot about a 190 but I have to do quite a lot of motorway miles and the 111s being a little bit more comfortable on a 400 mile round trip is definitely a good thing!

OK - that's a bit better - suspension - at some point - manifold - only if I've got spare cash - induction - definitely - maybe replace the tb - and more 1st lotus days. Think I can live with that!

Thanks everyone :(

I would be amazed if it had a plastic TB.

Interesting that suspension makes a difference to your policy - through Tesco it made bugger all difference, they only wanted to know if i increased the power or changed the wheels (not really gonna happen)

Deffo a fair point about the 400 mile round trip though, the 111S is probably better suited.

Unless I am being really dumb (which is seriously possible), it's definitely black plastic. Am I looking at the wrong thing? Is the TB different from the throttle or something? What? Hello? Now I am confused... :unsure::D;)

DL were very specific about categories of mods - and pratting about with the suspension seemed about as popular as going 'round and sticking a brick through their office window. :D

Archived