litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Driving Lights

graeme_laslett

Recently I put a big hole in the front clam and this is being sorted, but I also broke one of the driving lights.

I took the broken light out and it has a manufacture date of 01-JUN-2001. Impressive as the car was registered in 1999, so I checked the remaining light and this also manufactured in 2001. So either my car originally didn't have driving lights, or they have both been broken in the past.

My questions basicaly are:

Driving lights are noted as an option in the original sales leaflet I have, so not required for an MOT?

Is the front grill different for cars without the driving lights (i.e. doesn't have the cut outs for the lights?).

I basicaly use the car on track / sprints so thinking of removing them both. Saves weight and I don't have to pay for a replacement.

G

• Replies 1
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MOT wouldn't be a problem if you removed them, you'd still have the main beam function on your headlights.

Early S1's didn't have driving lights so there are definitely full grills available, without the cut-outs but I don't think they can be fitted without removing the clam, unlike your current one, which is easily removed. I guess you may already have the front clam off at the moment for the repair so now's the time to change the grill if you want to.

Archived