litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Whats The Best Speed Camera Detector

LIVY

:( Hi All

could do with some advice as I have just found out that the Stealth Tax Brigade in Northampton have done me for doing 56 in a 50.

So it looks as though I need a detector as I already have 6 points.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Oh by the way spotted quite a few of you on the way down to Le Mans on Thurs. You were pulling into the services on the way to Rouen.

Unfortunately I wasn't in my liz but was a passenger in a Blue 911 Cab instead.

Fantastic weekend even though I didn't drive.

Anyway thanks in advance for any advice.

Cheers :)

LIVY

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got a Road Angel and Bell 550, but to be honest the Road Angel is excellent and wish I hadn't of bought the Bell 550. Don't get me wrong the Bell 550 is great but was overkill really. It all depends if they pass this ban on radar gismo's aswell if it's really worth getting anything other than GPS based IMO. Road Angel is only really good for fixed cameras aswell so your still open to the guns etc. I do find it helpful though. Wouldn't be without it.

The Bell 550 is what I've got although to be honest I hardly use it not because it doesn't work well - it does - and it tells you what is there - not what the GPS related database thinks is there the last time you updated it - but just because the bleeping etc drives you mad as it detects every radar going (e.g. automatic doors) which is great on motorways etc but a slag in towns. It has saved me a few times when driving in places I didn't know where the devious gits had put things behind road signs, low billboards or just round the corner from a particularly bushy plant, but generally on the roads you're familiar with they are always in the same few places and lots of police forces publish teh schedule anyway - such as Warwickshire, which is nice of them. If you are going to get one definitely get one with a radar/laser module as otherwise any 'safety camera' barsteward can get you with the guns from a hell of a distance. Gatsos should generally be spottable. Beyond that I don't think anything can be done about vascar that the unmarked cars have (unless someone knows otherwise) so you can spend as much as you like on detectors and still get knackered by a black volvo which you didn't spot... :crybaby:

... and still get knackered by a black volvo which you didn't spot... :crybaby:

Or a plod car on high ground doing a visual, re my Tivver recent experince, and still waiting for a BAD letter day.

No Road Angel or other gadget (I have some) can deal with that :P

Im thinking about one of the mico road pilots with a laser module; seems like a nice compact unit, and seems very accurate; a friend has one, and it doesnt seem to suffer from automatic door syndrome, but does pick up cameras from a long way off...

The other nice function is it tells you your speed and the speed limit, whcih is a plus for me as Im always wondering is it 30 or 40, etc...

Not cheap though, think they are about £300 inc 12months database sub's plus £50+ for the laser module, however if you hunt around you can get them both together as a promotional bundle for around the 300 mark...

b :wacko:

One thing to bear in mind is that the government barstewards are likele to ban radar & laser detactors in the near future which will count out most snooper units. The road angel is then your best choice as it works on gps with a detachable laser detector. However, for less money you can do what I did and get the TomTom GPS navigator kit with a HP PDA and put the free speed camera software on it. You then get not only a reliable camera detector but a GPS navigation unit and a PDA thrown in as well. Only down side is that fitting it all is a bit more involved if you want to do it tidily.

I can source a RA 2 for £310 - a discount deal that Steve Chambers sorted out.. drop me a PM with a mobile number and i'll put the guy in touch if you want?

Personally, i am saving for the Micro Road Pilot as it is far more compact!

:) Thanks Guys,

plenty to be thinking about. I've read a little bit about the Road Angel and it does sound good.

I already have a TOM TOM with HP PDA and I did download the Gatso ICONS but to be fair it's a pain when the sun is shining on the screen

I also could'nt suss whether you could ad audible warnings with the download.

The micro Road Pilot does sound impressive.

Ta Again

LIVY

Other advice is to avoid Northants like the plague - and move somewhere else if you have to - some stretches of road there have gatsos, truvelos and specs over a short stretch. Lots of bits of lovely friendly country lane type bits as well which are 40 zones. The bit around East Haddon near Althorpe. Not fair. :drive:

Archived