litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Another Suspension Refresh

Phil S1

Thanks both. I'm on a 'car day' tomorrow so will have another attack. It'll be nice working with better light if its mild again and I can have the garage door open.

Thanks for the advice about geo settings Bis. I'll have to ask about settings in a month or so's time when hopefully I'll be putting her back on her wheels.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Been a while and I don't have that much of an exciting update, but I'm quite pleased that I finally managed to get out for a couple of hours and finish dismantling (yes, i'm STILL dismantling). I've had some trouble today with the lower wishbone bolts that go through to the foot wells; on the end I had to use my Dremmel to grind the exposed part of the thread down as the nuts just wouldn't move along the corroded thread. Ball joints are all out nice and easy- they were in quite a state!

I've got my POR15 ready, just need to find a place to sandblast my parts.

I though I might give the tub a bit of a spruce while I can get to it easily. Does anyone have a recommendation for cleaning it? Some areas are quite grimey as would be expected and might need a bit more that soapy water.

Mine wasn't too bad. I used some petrol to get all the tar spots off and then I've always found Autoglym's 'Engine and Machine Degreaser' to be pretty good for cleaning the aluminium, both inside and out. Once clean, I smeared it all with ACF-50.

I wondered what happened to all the refreshers. Good to hear that you are still plugging away.

I didn't bother with the shot blasting etc, but I suspect, I would have had a better finish. All that I did was use rust removing gel, then scraped it off with a wire brush. Once dry, I covered any remaining rust with rust covering primer and POR15 on top. The end result was pretty good, but as I say, it probably would have been a lot better if had them shot-blasted.

The gel is something similar to this...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Hammerite-Rust-Remover-Gel-750ml-/130340920231?pt=UK_DIY_Material_Paint_Varnish_MJ&hash=item1e58ec9ba7

Keep plugging :)

Good work.

I see that you've painted the driveshaft. Looking at the pictures, you may have to rub back the speed sensor pick-up points. I had inconstant readings on the Stack that I finally traced back to the paint on my driveshaft.

The diffuser is looking good too.

Bis.

A bit of an update on painting of the the driveshaft toothed ring...

IMG_8122.jpg

I've been out in my car a couple of times now and my speedo's working fine so no problem for me :)

Nice one Phil.

So, by this, can we take it that you are all done? How did you ensure that your geo was as it should be?

Yep, got it completed over the Christmas break, just been waiting for some decent weather to give it a run out.

As regards the geo, I initially made sure all the camber shims went back as before and I never had to take either the TRE's off or separate the balljoints from the rear tie rods, so it shouldn't be that far out. It certainly felt alright on the road anyhow.

I made my own geo rig some time ago now but I wanted to run the car a time or two, prior to re-checking it, to let the new bushes and balljoints settle down. So yes, checking / adjusting the geo is now my next job.

Yep, mine's feeling pretty good now too, having fitted uprated toe links, new drop links, new steering rack and now all the balljoints and bushes. I reckon I may finally have a rattle free Lotus.....I'm sure it won't last :D

Mine's still halfway through! I was on holiday all last week but before I went I had:

Wishbones/uprights/mounts sand blasted and 2 coats of POR15 applied

New bushes/ball joints in

1 new wheel bearing fitted

Got new rod ends for my toe links

Got Nitrons back from refurbishment

All the new bolts/nuts have been delivered

So my evenings this week are going to be spent assembling everything with the plan to do the geo in the daylight on Saturday and then a track day at Bedford on the 5th Feb to see how it all feels !

I was thinking about buying new dampers too... but I got a vets bill this morning which has put pay to that... anyway...

Bis, did you replace ALL your bolts? I got wishbone bolts from Elise Parts when I bought everything else, but as I've taken more off I've thought more could do with replacement.

Did you find a local supplier of the exact bolts or did you manage to find specific ones on the 'net?

Hi Keith,

I pretty much replaced all my bolts. I bought the full bolts kit from seriously lotus and got rid of all rusted bolts. Some where in good shape following the engine conversion, but anything rusty went in the bin.

Bis.

Archived