litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Which Exige?

MattyB

I'm after a little advice from the MLOC group regarding Exiges...

I've pretty much given up on my S1 Exige hunt, having not found anything I'm happy with, so I'm turning to S2 Exiges instead - which on reflection is a better use of my £20k for what I intend to use it for (Road and Trackdays)

I've narrowed it down to 2 cars:

2007 ExigeS with SP and PP plus upgrades...

or...

2005 Exige with TP and SP, standard

The first is absolutely perfect, Performance Pack too, with LSD and £5k's worth of Hanger111 upgrades. Downside is the history is "patchy" having spoken to the previous owner, most of it has been lost, hoping to speak to the garage to see whats been 'recovered'

The latter is obviously not quite as good, but still has the SP and also the TP. Very low miles, would hope to haggle him down to £20k.

Buying the first would require a bigger loan on my part (3.5k more) which is about £60/70 a month more, no real problems absorbing that. I'd rather not have that much finance, but I'm wondering if the benefits of the Supercharged car (and I'm hoping its better residuals) would make it worth the extra outlay?

Trackdays are more of a consideration over road driving (it'll be a weekend car) and I've been told that in some ways the N/A is better car for this, being lighter and suffering less heat soak....I am more of a fan of N/A engines, but at the same time I found the VTEC engine in my old ITR annoying with the "all or nothing" cam-switchover. On the upside, I've got less finance and more petrol money (!).

Any advice? Worth pushing for the "S" ?? Opinions on SELOC are fairly split....

Cheers!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I owned an Elise 111R and an Exige S. Just talking about the differences in engine (the charger) I ahve to say it made a world of difference. Some people may disagree, but the 29hp difference is not the tell tale here. The drivability of the of the supercharged engine was a world apart and I would never have an N/A yota lump now! If you are talking 240 then I am sure the difference is even bigger!

I understand your concerns about the history, and I would a little too, but at the worst, I'd look at a difference Exige S before having the N/A Exige.

Just my opinion! :)

Mike

Why is there a gap in the history? Thats what you have to ask yourself.

Was the car off the road after an accident and the service didnt get done?

These days a garage can easily print out history again if it has been lost. i would wait for the right car.

I have been looking at the Exige and I cant see the benefit over an R, unless you go for an S.

I like the look of the first one. Do you trust the owner you have spoken too ? What did he say about the missing service ? It is quite a high milage for the age but if it is only a second car for you it would lessen the longer you kept it, if you get my drift. It might be worth a cheeky offer if it looks nice and checks out OK :)

In terms of the missing history, the email I got from the last owner was...

I can explain the gap in history the guy before me that had did have it serviced before he gave it to me however I lost the paperwork so I couldn't put on it it had one. And the 1st owner lost the book that those service carried out in the 20k miles, i can assure you i looked after it to the highest of cares.

As mentioned, I have no idea why anyone who lost history wouldn't take the time to recover it, as its worth thousands, especially on a car like an Exige. The way he words it suggests the 1st owner (who had the Hanger111 work done) lost the service book, then he lost the paperwork.

May be harsh, but if two owners can't look after a few bits of paper, how well have they looked after the car? (Am I being unfair there?). This all may explain why Oakwood's have reduced the price by £2k and its still hanging around. I contacted the owner of the Black one, thats now sold.

I was more after the "N/A vs S" comaprison, and it seems its worth the extra for the S. Although I've just been offered another S1 Exige which I'm hoping to follow through with, so I may be back with my original choice! :clap:

Archived