litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tapping Read Longerons

graeme_laslett

All

Attempting to remove the rear clam, and hit a slight problem.

There are 6 bolts in the luggage compartment that go through the clam into the rear longerons. All six bolts just spin freely so what every they are retained by must have rusted / broken off the longerons.

Before I try and grind these bolts out, I have to come up with a solution to be able to replace the bolts and the best I can come up with is to tap a thread into the longerons.

Has anyone else had the same issue? Is there a less drastic solution? Would tapping a thread in to aluminum logerons be secure enough?

TIA

G

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

IIRC they are flat top rivnuts. They look something like this

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/25-Rivet-nuts-Rivnuts-Nutserts-M10-Steel-Flathead._W0QQitemZ380178468602QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id=157374034023&rvr_id=157374034023&cguid=30eb3e9f1280a0aad2f4b9f4fe8c06e6

They are inserted using a tool that crimps them up and secures on sheet steel / ally. You are going to have to grind / drill the heads off. You could probably drill the heads off if you stop them spinning using a pair of mole grips etc.

When you have the clam off all will become apparent. You will have to replace the old ones after the clam is off. I bought a set from RS. Shame you are miles away.

I think this was the one. Im sure you could half the price on ebay.

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/search/searchBrowseAction.html?method=getProduct&R=6235549

IMO you also want the Ally fixings.

Archived