litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Getting Louder

graeme_laslett

Hi All,

Back in Jan I fitted a Hurricane Induction kit and 52mm TB. In March, off I went to my local airfield for a track day and was noise tested at 92 db. Same airfeild, same organisers in May and 94db, Oulton Park (different organisers) in June which messured at 95 db. August, back at the airfield with the original orgainsers and 97db.

Yesterday, back at the airfield I was messured at 98db, which is the allowed limit.

Has anyone else had the same experiance? A couple of db here and there I can cope with, but the car is progressivly getting louder and next time I may not be allowed on track.

The only modifitations done this year has been a new ARB and upgraded the toe links.

Any thoughts on what could be causing the increase in noise?

Many thanks

G

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks guys

Had a quick look at the exhaust system and it seems that the manifold and cat are originals (1999 car) and a silencer with no distinguishing marks added in 2005.

I need a winter DIY project so will probably look at replacing the lot - any suggestions bearing in mind my local airfield has a strict 98db limit?

G

If you are going to do trackdays there is a lot to be said for a standard exhaust. If it were me as a winter DIY, i would drop the exhaust manifold off and remove all the weld off the inside of the manifold where it joins the head. Check the cat is ok, they are pretty robust. Have a look in the end and make sure the honeymoon is intact :D Then put a standard exhaust on. What you lose with a standard exhaust you will gain from removing the excess weld HTH

If you are going to do trackdays there is a lot to be said for a standard exhaust. If it were me as a winter DIY, i would drop the exhaust manifold off and remove all the weld off the inside of the manifold where it joins the head. Check the cat is ok, they are pretty robust. Have a look in the end and make sure the honeymoon is intact :D Then put a standard exhaust on. What you lose with a standard exhaust you will gain from removing the excess weld HTH

Martin

That is a great idea - many thanks. It might even get me down to the 88db needed for Croft.

The "Excess Weld", is that as simple as a metal file and smooth it down? I've never taken the exhaust manifold off so this is going to be a learning curve for me.

I knew Elise ownership would be different, but....... taking the cat on honeymoon!!!!!!!!

G

The roughest round file you can find should do it. I used a small air grinder i had use of at the time. I would leave a small amount of the weld otherwise you will have to weld around the outside of the manifold HTH

Archived