litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Moraes, Viso & Sato Come To Meijer Indy 300 With High Hopes

Mark H

The KV Racing Technology drivers — Mario Moraes, E.J. Viso and Takuma Sato — have had excellent oval track cars this year.

They have charged through the field at tracks like Kansas, Indy, Texas, Iowa and Chicagoland. In fact, each driver has passed dozens of cars during those oval events. Unfortunately, the results haven’t equated to the impressive runs for the three KVRT pilots.

All three are looking to change that this Saturday night (Sept. 4) at Kentucky Speedway.

Moraes, Viso and Sato are expected to challenge at the front of the field again when the green flag drops for the Meijer Indy 300 at 8:45 p.m. EDT at the 1.5-mile high-banked oval south of Cincinnati. The 15th round will be televised live on VERSUS at 8 p.m.

Moraes, the talented 21-year-old Brazilian driver, proved that fact last Saturday at Chicagoland Speedway when he cut through the field from his 21st starting spot to run as high as fourth in the middle of the race. However, a late race pit stop curtailed his charge. At Kentucky in 2009, Moraes drove in the top-five, before a fellow competitor made contact with him while on pit lane hurting his final result.

Moraes, currently in the hunt for a top-ten finish in the season standings, brings his No. 32 KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry to Kentucky seeking another podium oval finish. He finished third at Chicagoland last year, so Moraes is expecting a strong performance this Saturday in the 15th stop on the 17-race IZOD IndyCar Series.

Viso has been the biggest oval charger of the KVRT contingent this year including coming from 19th to third at Iowa Speedway in the No. 8 PDVSA — KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone car. That podium finish was Viso’s career-best in the IZOD IndyCar Series. At Kansas, the 25-year-old Venezuelan came from 16th to fifth but retired from the race early due to an on track incident , and, last Saturday night at Chicagoland, he went from 16th to sixth but could not manage a finish. Viso has to be a contender in Saturday’s 200-lap feature.

Sato, driving the distinguishable No. 5 Lotus — KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine, is a newcomer to oval racing after seven years of Formula One competition, but the Japanese star has proven to be an extremely-quick learner at the 200 mile per hour-plus action. Sato drove to fifth at Kansas before being hit in the late stages of the race, as well as climbing from 31st to sixth at Indy and running as high as third at Iowa.

Unfortunately, the personable racer hasn’t recorded a top-ten oval finish yet in his “rookie” season, but Kentucky Speedway could be the right track for Sato to score well.

DRIVER QUOTES:

MARIO MORAES, #32 KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE (below): “I am looking forward to coming back to Kentucky. Our test got cancelled there at the beginning of the year. Last year, KV Racing Technology gave me a fast car. I was running fifth until my pit stop when I got hit not once but twice before entering my box. My crew did a great job to repair my car but I wasn't able to finish as high as I should. I am hoping this year we can have a strong run and we can finish well.”

E.J. VISO, #8 PDVSA — KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE (above right): “KV Racing Technology have always given me a fast car for ovals. We were fast at Kansas, Texas, Iowa and Chicagoland. Last weekend, we were in contention for a win until the pit incident (which retired Viso from the race). I am hoping we can have the same car for this weekend at Kentucky and that I can bring home a good result. I am really looking forward to returning to Kentucky. ”

TAKUMA SATO, #5 LOTUS - KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE (below right): "It was such a refreshing change and a great excitement to be back on an oval last week and we were competitive there. I heard that Kentucky will be a little bumpier, but a similar venue as we had in Chicago last week. So I hope we can repeat our performance and show the speed we had and have a good race."

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived