litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Takuma: We Had Good Speed Today But...

Mark H

Lotus-KV Racing Technology IZOD IndyCar Series rookie Takuma Sato failed to finish the Peak Antifreeze & Motor Oil Indy 300 on Saturday at the lightening fast Chicagoland Speedway.

Takuma, who qualified tenth in the #5 Lotus — KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry, put in a strong showing early on in the 200-lap event and was running in the top-ten on the 1.5-mile oval.

He then fought back from an early problem due to debris on the track and ran consistently with Dan Wheldon, who eventually took the runners-up spot, to battle with the lead pack.

Unfortunately though, he was forced to retire from the race on lap 80 due to damage sustained in a pit incident with team-mate, EJ Viso.

"I am extremely disappointed tonight," Taku reflected. "This is a very exciting track as we expected. It was fantastic to race two and three wide on the track. I really enjoyed the first part of the race.

"But I had a puncture from some debris on the right rear tyre and had to pit. I got a lap down because of that, but we worked our way back onto the lead lap and I made it. I was excited because I could run right with the lead group.

"We had perfect timing with the yellow flag coming out and I made my second pit stop. Now were absolutely back on the game. It was a great stop from my crew. However, I pulled out of my pit, another car came out of his pit and I was hit. Unfortunately, it knocked us out of the race.

"We had good speed today though and I hope we can carry that into the race next week in Kentucky."

This post has been promoted to an article

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived