litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Brazilian Places 12Th With Sato And Viso Knocked Out Early

Mark H

LEXINGTON, Ohio (Aug. 8, 2010) —  Mario Moraes fought a painful wrist to place 12th Sunday in the Honda Indy 200 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course.

The 21-year-old Brazilian driver was suffering from an injured right wrist that was taped heavily following a mishap at Edmonton two weeks ago.

Moraes still managed to bring his No. 32 KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone machine across the finish line 12th in the 85-lap feature on the tough 2.25-mile 14-turn road circuit north of Columbus.

Moraes worked his way from his 16th starting position to challenge for a top-ten finish before settling for 12th.  The placing moved Moraes closer to the top-ten in the IZOD IndyCar Series points with five races remaining in the 17-race campaign.

The Mid-Ohio event looked promising for KV Racing Technology with Takuma Sato running as high as second in the early stages of the race, and E.J. Viso saving fuel while running in the top-ten.       

Sato, who qualified third in the No. 5 Lotus — KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone entry, battled with the leaders in third position before the first pit stop on lap 25.  Utilizing the Japanese star’s “drive aggressively” motto, the former Formula One racer didn’t disappoint on Sunday.  Sato made an attempt to pass defending race winner Scott Dixon in turn four on the restart and just missed from make it stick through the corner.  Unfortunately, Sato’s mount car slid off the track with his inside move of Dixon.  He was unable to restart the car and placed 25th.

Viso, who started eighth Sunday, ran a conservative early strategy by saving fuel as he tried to stretch the pit window for the No. 8 PDVSA — KV Racing Technology Honda/Dallara/Firestone team.  However, Viso was hit from behind by Justin Wilson on lap 23 and was forced to retire from action due to a bent right suspension.  Viso was awarded 26th position.

The KV Racing Technology team will test at Infineon Raceway this coming Friday before competing in the Indy Grand Prix of Sonoma on Aug. 20-22.   

DRIVER QUOTES:

MARIO MORAES – No. 32 KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE

“We were looking to gain some points here today and we did that.  We still have a chance for a top-ten in the final standings.  After what happened this morning with the pit accident (when Moraes’ car  made contact with two crew members), I was feeling pretty bad.  It was in my mind for a long time.  But we didn’t have any problems with our pit stops.  The team did a great job.  Now we move onto Sonoma.  I think we can be strong there.”

TAKUMA SATO – No. 5 LOTUS – KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE:

“It was an exciting start.  Dario and I were side-by-side going into the sweeping corner at the start and I took the second position.  But soon Dario was able to get by me on the back straight.  I then settled in third and ran directly behind the top two.  My engineers were very happy with my pace and fuel savings.  Under the yellow caution period, I came into the pits with the leaders.  On the restart, I had a good opportunity to get alongside Scott (Dixon) at the end of the back straight.  But the inside line was so slippery, I struggled to stop and ran wide. Unfortunately, that ended my race. It is very disappointing.” 

E.J. VISO – No. 8 PDVSA – KV RACING TECHNOLOGY HONDA/DALLARA/FIRESTONE:    

“I want to congratulate the team because we had a strong weekend overall.  With the right breaks, I think Takuma (Sato) and I had a shot for the pole position here on Saturday.  We made a lot of progress with the cars.  In the race, I was trying to save fuel as much as possible.  I was trying to extend the pit window.  Justin attempted to make a run on me at the end of the back straight.  I don’t think he was even close to being alongside of me.  I hit my normal braking point and turned into the corner.  I suddenly felt the hit of my right rear tire.  He was trying to overtake me, but his braking was extremely late.  I was already turning when I got hit.  The right rear suspension was bent.  It is very sad because we had a good car and I felt we could run faster, too.”

• Replies 0
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived