litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Alps Roadtrip - Seasonal Advice?

JonnyA

A quick question before i post up my plans for an Alps roadtrip 2010...

Are the various Alps passes still open/ passable in late September/ first week in October?

I'm not just thinking about the overrated Stelvio either, but anyone know if it's a bit late in season or whether mid sept is a better bet?

cheers!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure about the 'opening times' but definitely hit Furkapass, Sustenpass, Grimselpass, St Gottard, Gt St Bernard, and I'm sure there's more :)

Stelvio main side is over-rated, but the west side - wow! Both roads - Livigno to Stelvio and Santa Marin to Stelvio are brilliant. The lead up to Stelvio was brand new surface on the west side when i was there in 2008. Even the wife enjoyed driving those hairpins!! Plenty more from me in the Touring section! :drive:

HTH

just came back from our annual alps trip, as has been said stelvio west side (once down the hairpins) to livigno is particularly awesome and we stayed at hotel margarita in livigno and had a really nice mixed grill and chocolate fondue.

Anyway other passes we did included furka and grimsel which are both very good, although the east side of furka is a bit tight really, the oberalppass is good but only really as a link between furka and davos, last year we did san bernadito as well which is a good pass but a bit out the way.

opening times, i think September is more likely, there was hardly any snow on stelvio this year, last year there was still loads of the stuff so it seems like there's been a hot summer. Grimsel and furka were both clear of snow as well and again last year there was something at the top, i would suggest October is pushing your luck a bit

I went a bit earlier in the year, July and there was still snow about but not on the roads, just have to be careful of the odd melt stream here and there. Stelvio, the side from Bormio(?) up to the top I really enjoyed but the other side was hell. I don't know if you should only try going up that side but going down the nose of the car scraped around nearly every hairpin unless swinging out wide into the other lane. that couple with a back up of bikers made it an ordeal. once down the blast back to livignio is real nice, especially if you use the toll tunnel :) zorst heaven.

I must admit i really enjoyed furka, grimsell etc alot more. I had the car fully loaded with kit and wife so really didn't have the full on blast it deserved. The snow up there was pretty impressive at the side of the road at some points but never an issue on the road itself.

Have fun!!

• 2 months later...

Many thanks for the advice - sorry for the very late reply! - was a tad rushed in (un)organising it at the last minute.

much fun was had ;)- a full write up elsewhere very soon...

Archived