litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Early S2 Jumps Out Of Reverse

markh27

My S2 is sometimes difficult to get into reverse and more recently it will jump out from time to time.

Please somebody tell me it's an adjustment issue.

Mark

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are some notes in the install guide for the eliseparts upgrade, last page mentions

"Ideally adjust the linkage so you get 1st to 2nd perfect if you then have problems with 5th

to reverse you can still adjust the small adjuster screw under the plastic gear cover in the

cockpit of the car (at the side of the gear lever). This screw limits the bell crank (side to

side) motion and simply unscrewing it further will give you a few mm more movement at

the gearbox end",

hope that helps

http://www.eliseparts.com/pdf/gear_link_instructions_s2.pdf

Gary

All k-series boxes can be a bit crunchy when going into reverse (it's a feature of Rovers).

As the last post says, you can adjust the end stop (under the gear stick cover) to make engaging 5th/reverse easier. If you have not changed anything I can't see why it would need adjusting. You can also adjust the back/forward movement from under the gearbox at the back of the car. Again, if you have not been tinkering I can't see why it would need adjustment.

If it goes into gear and then jumps out as you are reversing I think you have a bit of a problem with the box itself. If it sort of goes into reverse, makes a grating noise and goes in gear and stays in gear when you give it a shove....it's pretty normal.

Mine does it too - sometimes jumps out making a bit of a racket and won't go into reverse at all when the box is really hot (trackday hot). Might have a bit of a play. It's been like that for 20000 miles and the rest of the box is perfect

Archived