litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Battery?

steve-n

As i work down in London most of the week, the Elise gets parked up at work which is 3 miles away from my home. This week the battery charge wasn't enough to turn the engine over, the car hadn't moved for 4 days... I know the battery is a small 12v but, four days isn't long?

Does anyone else have this problem?

I can also recommend the Richmond portable battery booster, from Halfrauds...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah..left mine for well over a week and was fine. Also if you get a Halfords one you get a 5 year guarnatee - so if you keep on leaving it without using or trickling and some of the cells go dead - you just get a new one.

I've just had a waterproof electrical socket installed on the front of the house so I can plug an optimate in and charge the battery that way.

The only problem I've got is how to route the lead so that the optimate is in the passenger footwell, where the connector to the battery is. If I go through the windo there will be a gap which won't let water in (I've got a cover) but might cause the alarm to go off...

I left mine for about ten days before christmas and it wouldn't start, lickily the drive is on a slope so i popped it into revese and bump started it - though that did do something a bit weird, it made the car idle at about 1500 rpm, after switching it off and back on again though it resolve the problem - see rebooting does work!

I took it out on a good long run and the battery has been fine ever since.

Bob, why don't you run the cable under the hood and above the roll bar where the cant rail ends, then down the side between the seat and the door then along the floor into the foot well. That should keep the cable against a surface and stop it from moving and setting the alarm off, it may even put it outside the alarm sensors 'bubble'.

oh, and remeber to be wary of the cable rubbing on the outside of the car in the wind, it may haze your paintwork. Sticking it down with electricians tape may work.

Archived