litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Where Is The Clock?

dobber82

... got in and the passenger side had a really wet side pod (dont know what you call it but the lip you have to step over to get in) ... it is leaking.

I have an S1, but I assume they're similar. If you're talking about the 'recess' that the door fits into when it's closed - I think it's normal for that to get wet.

If you're talking about the top of the sill being wet - that's 'normal' too, but it's not intentional!!! (if you see what I mean)

Check the fitting of the roof &/or adjust the window glass.

Having said that, I too keep a towel for mopping up any minor leaks (currently hanging up in the garage to dry after yesterday's downpours!)

Nearest meet for you is probably the one at the Waterman in Hatton on Sunday Aug 2nd, 3pm (see Events section). I'm hoping to get to this one, so maybe see you there?

Oh - Welcome to MLOC ;)

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

one thing you pick up (that hard way for me!) after a rain shower stand back as you open the door else you'll get wet feet . The water gathers on the sill outside of the chassis, underneath the door when its closed.

Mine does this on the driver's side, EliseLaura's car does it on the passenger side. Try it! lol

Also another towely here too. I cover my dash & wheel as I get drips there from the roof sometimes.

You learn to live with it for the ;)

Hi Rocketian ... I have elec windows and the Touring pack but not the airbags ... never mind!

Thanks for the advice about the wet ... talking of which I just took the car to Sainsbury's (every mundane trip I am now jumping at doing!!) ... got in and the passenger side had a really wet side pod (dont know what you call it but the lip you have to step over to get in) ... it is leaking. I have undone that side of the soft top and there seems to be a wire type lip on the soft top ... it didnt look like this ran into the groove where the seals are ... I have put that right (is there anything else to check here?).

I will look out for the chap in Redditch and would be more than interested to go to a few meets etc ... sounds good!

tomfloate - that is because you only have the touring pack - not the touring plus - or is it super touring ??

As for the wet sills - I used to put a little plastic pot on the sills when parked in my old S2. The leak is in the front corner where the roof meets the door top. Not much you can do about it, think of it as a design feature ! There is a cable in the front of the roof and if this is adjusted perfectly it doesn't seem to leak ... for a while

Newer ones don't leak, as the seals are redesigned - I have an 06 111R and it is watertight. When I say they don't leak, that is not exactly true. The door seal is shaped into a funnel at that corner, and the water is ducted away through the door seal to the outside - so you dont see it.

With the old leaky design, my concern was that the water collected between the door and the sill trapped above the seal at the bottom of the door - when you opened the door it would dump on your foot! More worrying, the switch for the courtesy light is situated in this region and I was always worried about that being underwater.

Hi Rocketian ... mines an 07 so should also be water tight then ... or close to. I will have a play over the weekend and see how I get on.

Okay ... here is a photo of where it is leaking in. Feels like the seal isn't great to me (i.e. not stuck to the interior very well). It drips down the side to the bottom point and then falls of. Any ideas? Am I okay to try and just stick it down again, any certain compound??

I would try and waterproof your roof properly first, i found most leaks come through the roof fabric in the troughs . you are best off buying some grangers tent fabric cleaner and fabsil waterproofer in liquid cans so you can brush on, you can buy these from millets.

make sure you clean really well in the troughs and get plenty of waterproofer soaked in there too. i think its prob best that you dont wash the soft top then as this seems to wear off the protection ;) worked for me.

Tom, you might not have a great seal between the trough and the screen frame. I had this problem as well, all be it on the early S2 with a smaller trough. The water was seeping through the rubber trough and frame, some sealant sorted it out.

Tom, you might not have a great seal between the trough and the screen frame. I had this problem as well, all be it on the early S2 with a smaller trough. The water was seeping through the rubber trough and frame, some sealant sorted it out.

Hi JonS,

Thats what I 'think' it is. What year did they mod that on the S2 ... do you know?

Stupid question but what sealant did you use and where did you get it from?

Thanks

Tom

Archived