litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

White Gunk In Expansion Tank

ant13375

Hi all

I was carrying out some standard maintenance yesterday and spotted some technically described 'white gunk' in my coolant expansion tank. Anyone got any idea's what it could be, i've checked the oil and there doesn't seem to be a problem, HGF on the way??? Cheers for any help

Ant

post-2880-1238427220_thumb.jpg

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Flush the cooling system and put in new coolant. You can get this gunk from using different anti freeze. I think Lotus used a certain type of OAT but most garages use a glycerol type and hence bits are left in the system, causing gunk.

I flushed mine a couple of times and the gunk has not come back. I got some OAT from the motor factors and have been using this the last two years/twenty thousand miles.

The mayo will look quite different to your cappuchino. There is also a known problem with slight cracking in the water jacket which can cause similar problems.

If you have not overheated and are not losing any coolant, I wouldnt worry too much yet.

Get it flushed a couple of time and keep an eye on it.

I would also recommend the AA cover. You get a great deal of piece of mind for £65 a year.

Get Top Gear to do a sniff and or a pressure test. If these come up negative get the flush, get the AA cover and get your top off and drive.

Damn it Scott, you were right. Just took a fantastic drive over to TGA with the top off only for them to confirm that i have early signs of HGF. Its going in on the 20th to get sorted. POO!!!!

At least it hasn't let go yet. This could save you a couple hundred quid.

Mine wasn't feeling right a while back and I noticed the expansion tank starting to get a bit murky so Martin & Kev sorted it for me. Aparently the gasket was only a couple mil from splitting so extremely lucky that it didnt just go pooof! TGA will sort you out :)

Damn it Scott, you were right. Just took a fantastic drive over to TGA with the top off only for them to confirm that i have early signs of HGF. Its going in on the 20th to get sorted. POO!!!!

Sorry to hear it :)

Don't worry to much and if it any consolation mine feels amazing since I have had it back

Archived