litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

To S Or Not To S?

MattyB

Hello Dave :lol:

Graeme makes a good point about the tyres, and again about the 111R (or even an S). I was always a big fan of the K-series...I mean, a 111S - 90% of the fun of an Exige, but for 50% of the cost (which could then be spent on trackdays) ?

You see??? I post here with a simple S or non-S question, and I end up coming back to Elises again...:D Plus I do get to get the roof off when the sun comes out (I know you can do it on Exiges, but its not quite the same...)

What are Strat Leicester like in terms of test drives? They're the closest dealers to me now Nick Whale have gone to the dark side...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What are Strat Leicester like in terms of test drives?

Salesman called Mark Freer at Stratstone took me out- drove like a mentalist round some roundabouts and dual carriageways of Leicester!!

He's still there I think.

I'm sure I'd be perfectly happy with an Elise- just came to down to how much more I prefer the looks of the Exige.

Don't ever take the top off if you go the Exige route- it looks wrong!!

Hey Matt,

In my brief, but incredibly enjoyable Lotus history, I've owned an Exige S, an Elise R, and now an Elise SC.

I can honestly say that my favourite is the Elise SC.

At three figures (not saying which three), the Exige could feel positively scary, especially on crap road surfaces with inconsistent tarmac over the width of the road. In direct comparison, and at the same speeds, the SC feels planted (the opposite of what you'd expect in fact).

And, compared to the R, the SC is so much quieter inside. From what I can see its all down to the exhaust system. The SC has the same "box" and pipe as the Exige S and, although this sounds "meatier" outside, it doesn't create resonance inside like R's did.

Plus, in the SC you don't get the chainsaw soundtrack that the Exige S is famous for. It IS there in the SC, but its more subdued, more "civilised" (Jesus - did I just say that?), and that trick ECU means the cam change varies with driving style.

The CD player is still crap though! Must be those lightweight speakers. Ah well, can't have everything.

Cheers,

Eric

Plus, in the SC you don't get the chainsaw soundtrack that the Exige S is famous for. It IS there in the SC, but its more subdued, more "civilised"

Is that because the SC has different components to the Exige Eric?

I've got an Exige S and all the comments about extra torque etc are absolutely correct. Great thing is you can 'cruise' around at relatively low revs without losing the ability to overtake at will or you can rev the b*lls off it and really feel like you are flying. I haven't driven a NA version so can't comment but everyone talks about the second cam kicking in so keeping up the rev range is probably vital. Why an Elise R would be any better or worse I can't understand as the engine is the same??

Personally I love the whine of the supercharger, especially on full chat but I guess that is a personal thing. I love the sound out Turbo's with dump valves as well (thinking back to my 5 Turbo days now!).

Again a personal thing but I prefer the whole colour coded thing but as mine is Black it would have been that way anyway. Black splitter OK but I think the colour coded side scoops and rear spoiler make any colour look a better.

Agree about not taking the roof of though, looks very wrong.

Hi Matty,

i am really just a lurker these days, but say hi to Dave from time to time...

(Hi Dave!)

I drove an Exige NA before getting my R300, and I was very dissappointed, I echo Dave's comments on the Toyota engine compared to the K, and I love the fact that my 7 has a K with similar output to the 111s I previously had. (The K series is just great!)

When I owned the GT3 Esprit, whilst very fast, the turbo lag was frustrating when low down (once in high revs, the car was mind boggling) the exige seems to have the same problem, however I WOULD plump for the 'S', as the difference is huge IMO.

I am not sure about the comments regarding track work being similar in a NA or S, I can't believe it, however I can say, my 7 is faster than all but the most experienced track Elise/Exiges I have encountered, and having driven a 2-11 on track, this is the ultimate! However IMO, whilst definatley faster and easier to drive, not as exciting as a 7, sound and feel.

I think as a previous K series owner, you will notice a difference.

best of luck in finding your new love!

James

Archived