litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

To S Or Not To S?

MattyB

:) Hello all....been a while since I started a thread on here !

Looking at returning to Lotus ownership early next year. Miss my S160, but I always wanted an Exige and couldn't justify it. Well, now I can :( Ideally it'd be an S1, but due to having it as a main car, I think the S2 would be far more suitable.

Been speaking to a few people who suggest that the S is the only way to go, prices are coming down fast too. Anyone driven both, and care to comment on which they chose and why? Its not the power that bothers me, more the delivery. I'd be happy enough with 190, but the NA-nay-sayers have told me that its power delivery is hard work with the big cam switchover, especially on day-to-day work.

And whats the ground clearance like on the front? Can't seem to find much info on this - I just about managed to get by with the 100mm on my S160, but the Exige has a bigger overhang, doesn't it?

And, totally IMO, I think the colour coding on the S looks terrible - they all look much better with black trim. I'd have to have a black one if I were to go down the S route...

Anyway, hello to all the old school MLOC people .. its been 4 years since I sold my Elise, lots of new faces here :)

Matt

Quick edit - if anyone Exige owners fancy a p/x in the new year with a crazy 147, let me know ;)

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had a discussion with sa guy who wanted an exige S2. he was considering the "regular" version and finally, he bought a elise 111R as on paper, the car seems to have a better ratio power/ratio. with the saved money, he got a few upgrades (wheel+semi slicks etc...)

He was telling me that his elise 111r is better than an exige for the same cost... He said the first exiges S2 are only interesting in the S version...

Exige owners may elaborate, I'd be interested in their views.

hi matt

i have an N/A s2 and love it to bits.

the improvement in handling and high speed stability over the regular s2 i owed before is massive.

cant believe the 111r guy has that opinion, but hey thats why we are all different.

however the power deliver is an issue.

if you just want linear torque and strong and very rapid acceleration (and honestly you'd be daft not too!!)

then save a few more £ and get an "S". they are stunning. i did 4 laps of silverstone in one

and loved it.

however with the n/a you get a freindly, fuel economical car that a partner can happy and safely drive below 6k revs

and an absolute beast that puts a smile on your face every time the cam switchs over 6k revs. (6250 to be accurate i know!)

it is undoubtably harder work and very frustrating when you aren't in right gear to get that punch of power

but oddly i find it more satisfying when you do get it right, than just knowing its always going to be there??

proberbly doesnt make much sense, but for sure i would try and drive both, its a very personal thing, and i have to say also the mood your in when driving.

my car is tucked up for winter now, but your welcome to a pax and drive in the spring if you can keep the money in the bank till then

regards

richbk

Just opened my latest copy of EVO (3 for £1 offer) and thereis a 6 page buyers guide on the S2 Exige also a bit on the 135R for trackday use.

Just thought it would make some good reading and may help you in your quest.

IMO which ever one you get I am sure you will enjoy.

:drive:

EVO buying guide was mentioned to me on another forum, it'll make for an interesting read :drive:

As I say, power isn't a factor for me - and I'm a big fan of NA over FI. I used to own an Integra Type-R, and the power delivery did annoy me, mainly because you had to rev the nuts off it to make any real progress (although it was even more fun when you did). Which is why I'm interested in the differences...

Does anyone have any info on the various revisions the Exige has had in its lifetime? Can't seem to find much about it...

I'm in the market for an Exige.

Having never driven a Toyota powered car previously, only a k series, I had the chance to drive the N/A and then the S back to back a while ago at Stratsone Leicester.

For me there was no contest, the S was just so much better in my opinion, easilyl enough to justify the relatively small price difference between the two models.

Matt,

My two penneth worth having owned an Exige S for over a year now;

Brilliant car once you get through the few niggling build quality issues.

Oodles of torque make the car easy to drive, a little like a diesel. I would go as far as to say you can become positively lazy with the gear changes when driving in traffic. Fuel economy on a day to day basis seems acceptable, the same can not be said on the track. On top of that when it's trucking along, you get that whine - not the other half telling you to slow down, but the supercharger whine.

From what I have heard about the N/A, they are a hoot to drive, always egging you onto the 2nd cam. I have also heard that at Curborough and similar tracks, it can be a little tricky to keep the engine running on the 2nd cam coming out of slow corners. The S's low down torque pays off, but with the extra weight of the S, it's probably a case of six or two threes.

The following is great website showing the S2 variants and colours;

http://lotuscars.se/type122/

Harvey

Hey Matt

I have owned an S2 Exige and now have an Elise 111R.

I am not sure if there is any real difference between the two cars, but the Elise does feel a little more responsive lower down the rev range than I remember the Exige being.

I believe that the Exige S has a lot more torque as has already been mentioned and the shift to second cam at 6,300 is less noticable as you have power from the supercharger, but again this can be changed on a standard car with the Lotus Motorsport ECU to lower the changeover to the second cam to I think 5,700 ??

Test drive an S and see if someone here will take you out in a re-ECU'd standard to give a comparison between the two.

Also bear in mind that Exiges wear sticky A048's that don't last long and cost a fortune. On the one occasion I've driven Toyota-engined cars (Rob's Stratstone Donington bash a few years back) I preferred the 111R to the Exige as it was more adjustable because the grippy Exige tyres accentuated its lack of torque as you could never seem to break traction. That said, I've since been round Donny as a pax with Chris H and he wrings out an awful lot of speed from a NA Exige!

So if you had to have an Exige as a day-to-day car, the S would be the best bet. But think hard if a 111r might not be more usable?

Your welcome to have a trip out in mine. (2004 NA Exige)

On most tracks there is almost no difference between N/a & S (watch the video on the donnington thread only at the end of back straight does it have an advantage, i'm in the yellow NA and the black exige is an S).

The lotus sport ecu (also now available from other people) makes a big difference, only drops ecu change point by 500 rpm but means you don't need to red line it to keep it in the second cam.

If you are only having it as a road car then the extra torque makes the S a quicker road car, but not as much as most people think, just easier to drive quick as you don't have to change down gears everythime you want to overtake / excellerate.

You need to have a long road test to make sure you can put up with the whine of the supercharger as an everyday car.

If i was buying again now and it was only a road car i'd probably go for an S, if it was a mixture of trackdays/racing and road use i'd probably go for the NA. If it was a track only car i'd go for 211 :drive:

Matt, I also came from an Integra R and I love the fact the N/A has to be revved in the same way the Honda did. The integra was slow off cam but I find the Exige plenty quick enough off cam for road use. I like the switch of the 2nd cam and for that reason I'm not interested in the ECU reflash to lower it by 500 rpm.

I know the criticism is made about lack of torque, but I've never understood why people don't use a lower gear. In an S at normal road speeds I Imagine you can use 3rd gear to overtake something at 40mph, whereas you'd need 2nd in the N/A but to me that's no big deal. I've not driven an S so can't compare.

I'm with you on the colour coding though- too much of one colour on the S and needs to be broken up a bit. The n/a looks much better IMO but could easliy be done to an S.

Hi Matt! Welcome back whatever you choose! :)

I hated the toyota engine when I drove the 111r and Exige, too all or nothing (no offense to anyone btw). Not driven the 111r/exige with the ecu upgrade but would be interested to see the change.

Archived