litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

'ring Question: What Does This Guy Do Wrong?

AlexL

On the 'Ring guide at BridgeToGantry, there a clip of someone going sideways in a Seat. Or a Citroen. The text says

Case number two in a track-prepped Seat of some type. Same situation, but faster. Too much speed + not knowing what happens next = crash

I can't quite see what goes wrong: he's going downhill quite quickly to a left-hander, which doesn't look too tight, possibly turns in a bit early, and then the car goes, to general surprise (about 1 minute in).

(Not that I have the slightest intention of going round the Ring, you understand. :wacko: )

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Some of the earlier corners were damp still, and that corner was downhill so likely to be just as damp. It was an early turn-in - perhaps the nearside wheel touched the kerbing as well and unsettled it ?

Thats definitely a Citroen ZX. We had one before we got the Elise :wacko: Doesn't seem like they are doing the speed they say they are. I agree with above, a little lift on the throttle and a touch of white line, and its all grass from there!

Looked like there was a little lift before he turned left, aswell as it being wet as he turned in. Lucky not to hit the barrier, but how much fun did he have! :)

God that must be a scary track on a bike :)

<< Exige Having a go

Looks like there is a camber change which drops away (you can see the line going across the track. Fast left hander which kicks up a little then drops away would make the car go light, especially at the rear which then swaps ends. Good catch though, and no damage :)

Was it his mums car?

It always amazes me every time I watch videos of the 'Ring. The concentration level must be emmense, all you see is tarmac and 3 rows of barrier!

Still, I wanna have a go! :)

The video is a bit weird the way he loses it as he's nowhere near the kerbs, just looks purely like a lift off at the turn in point.

The video posted by Matrees is strange as the driver looks very intese and trying hard etc but the time isn't that quick.

Here is an old video of mine, with me taking it easy as the track was damp in places.

Video lap.

Archived