litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Helmet

Gary ZBJ

Plan on starting to do some track days later this summer when I renew my insurance, and some driver training before that. Just signed up for Curborough, and I need a helmet.

What would people reckon to be a good entry level helmet as I don't want to break the bank, would rather spend the money on the car / driving it.

Think full face would be the better option, in case I get the chance to go karting or say on a single seater day somewhere, but happy to take advice to the contrary.

Cheers,

Gary.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Had a look at Simpson helmets too...They are quite cool looking things, fair bit cheaper than Arai and they also make 'the stigs' helmet. Also all available in black and I thought they looked pretty smart, shame didn't fit me very well.

Would recommend going somewhere like GPR trying loads, find your size and hunt online!

That as going to be my next question, about where to try them.

I have just found GPR at silversonte, in the Northants area is that the place to go?

Am I likely to find a lot cheaper than there online, about a 30 min+ drive for me so not really worth the petrol of a second journey for a tenner saving.

Cheers again,

Gary.

GPR are who I bought mine from....Best bet will be to do a price check on line and see how they compare. I just went there as it was one of the few places I know that carry stock on site that you can try on and I was passing.

You will need a full face if you want to take your roof off while driving at curborough.

I've bought stuff from GPR, price was reasonable (probably could of got it slightly cheeper on a website somewhere but you can try stuff on at the GPR shop)

I got my OMP for just under £100 from demon-tweaks last year, it was the cheapest I could find that would satisfy the FIA Type A sprinting regs. But I've just had a look on the demon-tweaks site and the cheapest they have is about £260!!!

If I find it elsewhere I'll post a link.

Might be worth an ebay search as I remember a few companies were doing it for roughly the same price on ebay.

Other considerations are that the SNELL standards go out of date after a while but the BS standards do not! I also use a balaclava - you can then wash that while it's tricky to wash a helmet lining. I went to GPR and they have a good selection for you to try upstairs. I went for a 'Bell' in the end, not particularly cheap but it fitted the best.

The current MSA (2008) helmet regs are:

90. Helmets bearing one of the following standards may be approved by the MSA (subject to other criteria also being met).

91. All MSA and International Events

• FIA 8860-2004

• SNELL SA2005

• SNELL SA2000

• SFI Foundation 31.1A, 31.2A

• BS 6658 Type A/FR92. All MSA Events

• BS 6658 – 85 Type A (Type 'B' is not acceptable)

Looks like AWS do the OMP helmet: http://www.advanced-wear.co.uk/page12.html

Archived