litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Midlands Stelvio Tour 2008

Greg.g

As posted in events :clap:

I know that there are a few MLOC'rs out there who have shown an interest in doing a Stelvio tour.

So i have got together with Steve N and we have come up with rough tour and price.

We have outlined the proposed route, hotels and price in the link below.

The proposed tour is for 10 days (one week taking in two weekends)

If anyone is interested, we will get together and finalise the details.

It will be up to each individual to make their own bookings.

In order to ensure that we all end up in the same hotels, i would suggest that anyone interested in this tour adds their name to the list as soon as possible.

We intend on making our bookings by the first or second week in february.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask.

I will also post this up in the touring section.

Below is a list of the passes on this route, plus a few pictures to follow.

Brenner pass

Jaufen pass

Stelvio

Passo del Umbrail

Passi di Foscagno

Bernina pass

Malojapass

1. Greg & Ali

2. Steve N

3. Pete F (hopefully)

4. Andrew + Sam

5. Graham (GreyKnight)

xls.gif stevio_2008.xls ( 41K ) Number of downloads: 6

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=d&hl=e...mp;z=5&om=1

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Greg

Well done for stepping forward and planning a route and inviting other to join you.

Just a couple of thoughts if you don't mind me adding them in. I have not done the route south from lyon. But just an idea, you could have gone south west through the National park area, Taken in the bridge in the sky at Millau and across to the medieval walled citadel of Carcassonne. Driving over the draw bridge and staying in the Castle is a very nice experience and the Best Western Hotel is very moderately priced for the location. The food in the Castle square was very nice as well.

Carcassonne is rather a special place. Also if you was coming down more to the west is Rocamadour which is stunning.

I also note that you are running a long the south coast. From Cannes to Nice, to Monaco and beyond can be a slow road if you go by the coast. The dual carriageway is a bit boring.

I also notice that on the map you are not fair from Modena. If I am correct that is where the Farrari factory is. It would be a shame to get so close and not have a tour.. Just an idea.

Another thought of mine was why go all the way to the south coast of France to sit on a dual carriageway along the bottom when you can do all those fantastic mountain passes in Switzerland?

Stelvio is good, but there are better passes to be done and lot more of them closer together.. Just another thought.

O' and don't even think of doing Stelvio at the weekend, everyone is there, you will have Harleys doing three point turns in the hairpins just to get around the corners.

I have not looked at the map other than on your google map link. So I don't have the full view of everything you are trying to do. But I would add that Motorways are functional but boring. great from getting from the North to the South. But I wouldn't want to do to much motorway driving.

Another tip I would suggest is places to stop and look around to break up the days driving, especially for the passenger. It gets very boring and you need to stretch your legs..

What have you got in mind for places to visit?

If you want a hand planning this route then I would be more than willing to sit down with someone a give some assistance.

I forgot to mention that there is the Bugatti collection at Mulhouse that is really worth having a look around.

Thanks for the thoughts Jamie :)

As far as the Stelvio area is concerned, the route includes 7 passes plus one spare day in the Stelvio area where we could do a days loop round some more passes if there was interest. We decided to leave this down to personal choice though, as some might like to take a day off from driving.

The route down to the south of france from Stelvio takes in a pass or two and Lake Como.

Once it reaches the coast, although its a motorway type road, its very scenic following the coast and there are quite a few tunnels for those wanting to explore their exhaust notes ;)

The route back towards Calais is not really set. I just suggested this particular route as being the quickest and easiest. I had already considered the Millau option as a possibility. Carcassonne is definitely an option ;) . This part of the route could easily evolve as long as we reach Calais in two days.

There are other areas i would like to have visited, but the general feeling was that we had to try and fit the tour into one week with two weekends. This proposed route allows for two free days where people could lounge by a pool if they wished. This may be a nice rest for any passengers who might get a little sick and tired of sitting in a car for 5 or 6 hours a day.

Any more thoughts are more than welcome.

And of course, your more than welcome to join us :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

BOOKINGS NOW BEING MADE!

This morning i have booked up my eurotunnel crossing and most of the hotels.

I left the last two hotels en route back through france open as that part of the route is still flexible.

Below are details of my itinerary.

Saturday 30th August ... Eurotunnel 07:50 booked

Saturday 30th August ... Germany stopover (Mannheim) booked

Sunday 31st August ... Innsbruck stopover booked

Monday 1st September ... Stelvio hotel booked (2 nights)

Wednesday 3rd September ... Monaco hotel (apartment for 4) booked (2 nights)

Sunday 7th September ... Eurotunnel return 16:50 booked

Using the link below, only the eurotunnel and Monaco hotel have been paid in advance.

As far as the Monaco hotel is concerned, i have booked an apartment for 4 persons, as it was cheaper per head to do it this way... £100 per couple cheaper. Pm me if your interested in sharing.

So who is going to join us ;)

Links to hotels below...

xls.gif stevio2_2008.xls ( 32K ) Number of downloads: 0

i've booked the following today:-

Euro-Tunnel - booked

Germany hotel - booked

Monaco apartment Sleeps 4 - booked

next week:-

Innsbruk - not booked yet

Stevio Spa - not booked yet

TBC - new route home

Lyon??

Reimms??

Greg and I have booked 2 apartments that will sleep 4 persons in each, we just need to know who's sharing with who and splitting the costs.....

were getting there ! :P

I'm still very interested in this guys. :)

Only got back from holiday late on friday and have been in bed ever since with a stinking cold and i'm still feeling pretty crap tbh. Will try and sort my life out this week and make a definite decision whether i'm in or not.

Steve, any news on that get together you were going to organise? ;)

• 4 months later...

Am currently sitting in our room at the hotel you will be staying at in the stelvio and all I can say is wow!!!! For what is about 60 quid a night this is unreal. basement car park has WIDE spaces, everything is super posh. The pool, sauna and steam rooms are not to be missed after the hard days slogging round the passes. The roads at the moment are pretty good although there have been some landslides due to rain. oh and it pissed it down good and proper earlier!!

Anyway you're going to love it here, look for a message in the guestbook from me!!

• 3 weeks later...

For those that want to avoid the return drone of the autoroute and toll booths, I can recommend the French Motorail from Nice or Avignon. That way you get to frolic around the South of France and have a very relaxed journey back overnight to Calais with excellent food and sleeping compartments. Not the cheapest option but well worth it on the return leg.

http://www.raileurope.co.uk/Default.aspx?tabid=493

Archived