litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Oban, Mull - Scotland

kimbo

Planning a 3/4 day trip up to Oban/Mull in spring next year. Anyone got any suggestions please regarding hotels etc/places to stay. Prefer 5 star luxury rather than camping - back still aching from le Mans. :)

Kim

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best Hotel in Oban is probably The Caledonian, which is right in the town centre by the CalMac ferry terminal. I was in Oban last month as I'm thinking about getting a property in the area and went to register with some Agents and there was some work being done on the outside but it seemed that it was business as usual.

There are a number of other Hotels (as you would expect) in the Town, especially along the Esplanade but because of Oban being what and where it is these tend to be what I call, "seen better days" hotels. In other words look far more grand on the outside than they actually are in reality because they are geared to serve the Coach Party market. One is actually owned by Shearings !

On the Isle of Mull, Tobermory is the main town and is very pretty with its multi coloured buildings along the harbour. On the top of the Hill overlooking the Harbour is the Western Isles Hotel, which is a large Victorian building. I stayed there about 8 years ago so my info is not up to date but I recall a very large room with an enormous bathroom. The room had great views over the Harbour, Calve Island and the Sound of Mull. Food was Ok if I remember, not magnifique.

On the Harbour front the most popular place, especially with the Sailing fraternity is The Mishnish Hotel. Good food and craic iirc but haven't stayed there. Its on the harbour front so I think you park where you can.

Depends on when you plan to go but there are many smaller comfortable places to be found by taking pot luck. It isn't an area for Hotels with Jacuzzis.

Tobermory is at the North end of the Island and the road there from the Ferry point at Craignure is fine. On the South of the Island its a nice run to Bunessan and Iona but at certain points and on the other roads on the Island I would be a touch wary of clearance issues in a Lotus at any pace.. Again from memory,the roads are not as well finished as those on Skye but I think Mull is by far a more picturesque and varied Island than Skye.

Kimbo

I was up in Oban this year and lead a party of four sports cars on a week touring the Highlands. Sorry I have not had time to post a whole thread on it yet, even though I have an extensive route book.

I can send you a Route book in the Apple Pages program if that helps. u2u me your phone number and I can chat further.

I have not been to Mull because I wanted to see other things instead, which I can advise you on, if it helps.

A good website to use for touring is;

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/index.html

I ruled out staying in the Caledonian because it didn't have a carpark and it was in the very centre of the town. Not where you want to park Exiges, Caterhams and a Porsche.

I booked my party in to a very nice B&B at £ 40 pppn at the Barriemore Hotel, which was a real find. They had off road parking an was a short walk from the town along the espanade. Nice for walking of a fine meal looking out across the bay.

Barriemore.jpg

Owner: Nic & Sarah Jones

Address; Corran Esplanade, Oban, Argyll, PA34 5AQ.

Telephone No; 01631 566356

http://www.barriemore-hotel.co.uk/

A really nice place to eat and I would highly recommend it, is the the fish resturant on the quay called Ee-usk.

eeusk1.jpg

eeusk2.jpg

Ee-usk. An Award winning Seafood Restaurant on the main Quay in the Town of Oban on the West Coast of Scotland.

Address: Ee-usk, North Pier, Oban, Argyll, Scotland. PA34 5QD. Tel; 01631 565666.

MapOban.jpg

While having our meal I had to leave my meal to take some pictures of the sun set over the bay. Everyone thought I was made leaving my meal but I think it was worth it. ;)

I got some great evening, sunsets and dusk shots on the Canon G7 camera. Hope you like them.

Dusk:

1-Oban.jpg

Sunsets:

2-Oban.jpg

3-Oban.jpg

4-Oban.jpg

Dusk:

5-Oban.jpg

6-Oban.jpg

Oban by Night:

7-Oban.jpg

Kimbo You have my contact details on a u2u, feel free to call me. :P

I really must get my Scotland trip up in the touring section. I will promise to do it soon. ;)

The route that we took is as follows, should you be interested..... There was some fantastic roads. :puke2:

ScottishTripMap.jpg

Archived