litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

My Elise Dream Is Over

Neil

That's the thing I detest about those 4x4 Audi's, they think they can go anywhere.

I cannot believe that we're up to 3 pages on this thread and no one has started taking the pi** yet. We are truly a sensitive caring bunch.

Firstly, I can hardly believe that anyone walked away from that. Horrific. You must have acted like a wedge when you hit the back of the A8. Of course the bit you haven't told us is that you were too busy looking in the rear view mirror fixing your hair in case you got a chance to pull later in the day. True or what? eh, eh?

Secondly, the instant reaction is "thats it, no more". I came off my motorbike a few years ago and said exactly the same thing but when the dust had settled and I got my head together I went for another one. Assuming yor insurance is fully comp etc, etc, sit on it for a few months and if you've got a hankering after one again you'll have the dosh stored away to do it. Mind you, having 3 kinds myself, the insurance money could easily be spent on your forthcoming child! And who would blame you.

You're ok, thankfully, your wife didn't burst on hearing the news, more thankfully, and you have a wee one to look forward to in the near future. Isn't life a walk in the park. Enjoy, sir, and by spring next year we want to see you back in an Elise. It'll need to be an R mind.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Glad you are OK mate. As everyone has already said it's only a car and you buy another at the end of the day.

I'm not surprised you were panicing, if you were still in the car when that photo was taken! I'd have been shitting myself that it was all going to collapse on me.

Years ago I had a very bad motorbike accident and spent a month in Hospital. Things like this shake you up bad and make you think about your own (and others) mortality but you will get over it in time. Take it easy and concentrate on your wife and the impending arrival.

Leigh

Sorry to here the bad news.

Really glad that you are ok. Cars can be replaced and everyone will write one off at some point. It is not the end of the world. just a bad day that could have been much worse.

So now you can get an S2 Elise with ABS brakes this time :drive:

Don't be to down harted, sh it happens.

Don't let owning a Lotus be a memory. Get another one and continue to live the dream.

Good to know that people / MLOC members were on hand to help you out and get you home. That is one of the best things about owning a Lotus and having a forum like this.

So sorry to hear about this Neil. We met on a couple of runs and you are a good driver - everyone makes mistakes in all kinds of cars. My wife had an accident and wrote off a car a few months ago, and whilst I wasn't in it, I do know what it's like to be on the other end of the phone. If you want a break from that kind of car, wait a while and get an Eagle - then you'll have the '+2' bit as well for the youngster(s)...

dont post here much since disappearing off into the land of the Evo (although i do still lurk!) :) I spotted the pic of the accident and thought it was bad.

I wouldnt let it put you off owning another performance car though, as all have said accidents happen. Understand why you might want a break from it for a while....

glad you are ok, and big respect to the MLOC dudes who came back for you.... :(

Cheers

John

It seems I've unintentionally generated quite a bit of attention here. I guess this thread is cross posted on a variety of forums - I posted the link on seloc myself to answer some of the questions being asked - which might explain the number of viewings it has had. I've already heard of friends receiving the pictures form people not connected with me or Lotus in any way, but I guess pictures of this nature always generate a lot of interest. I've even had the guys at Lotus trying to contact me which was nice in a strange sort of way.

Thankyou everyone for your kind words - I never expected this sort of response. Thanks as well to everyone who has called, PM'd or text me over the past few days as well. I think I now understand why I was (still am?) so addicted to this place: there are a lot of good people on here, and I hope it remains that way long after the Elise has become more affordable to a wider audience of owners. It's been good reading all your comments - I think it's what I needed to come to terms with things. I was keeping myself together quite well until I saw the picture on page one that Jon posted, at which point I broke down in tears. Don't feel bad if you are reading this Jon, it's what I needed! The real therapy was explaining it over and over again to everyone at work, I think the whole of the facility I work at now know who I am and what I did. They were fairly nice to me, and gave me a whole days grace before the micky-taking started. I've now heard all the comments about bad parking, undertaking, stunt driving, crash test dummies and Audi conversions, but at least I'm able to listen to the comments rather than read them from a hospital bed.

The people at Lotus were trying to get in touch after seeing the pictures so I gave them a call. They were pleased to hear that I am OK and kindly offered to help in any way they could. Aside from asking for an Exige for a few weeks until the insurance money comes through I'm not sure there's much they can do. I didn't ask by the way, it didn't seem appropriate. It would be wrong for me to get any kind of benefits out of this, however the pictures could quite easily support a safety campaign of some sort.

I keep looking at the crash pictures and I'm pretty sure that the event wasn't as traumatic for me as the pictures would suggest. I wasn't crushed at all whilst being stuck in the car - I had plenty of room to move and there were lots of people on the scene helping me through. Once I realised that it wasn't all going to explode I calmed down and felt OK until the rescue services arrived. It wasn't really until I got out of the wreckage that I realised the severity of it all. My wife still won't look at the pictures. I'm sure she will in time but for now she'd rather not see them.

I've read people telling me that it's just a car and it can be replaced, and they are right, however in so many ways it was more than just a car. It was a social life on wheels; a hobby; a constant talking point; an anti-depressant and maybe even an obsession. It wasn't just a car, it was part of me. Losing it feels like losing a family pet - it feels really strange without it sat in the driveway. But you're still right, it was just a car. Life goes on.

A fair few people have told me not to fear buying another Elise. If it wasn't for the imminent arrival of our first child (and most likely the huge insurance costs) I'd have another one tomorrow. I still love the cars (and the brand) to bit's but if I'm honest, me keeping the car was up for debate at some point soon anyway - we agreed to keep it until little-portus was born and see how we got on afterwards. We might have managed, but I think we'd have traded it in for a family car at some point in the near future anyway. My wife and I surprised ourselves last night by having a conversation about the prospect of buying an S1 as a 2nd car next summer. You never know, watch this space.

I think I will stick around here on MLOC, it'd be hard to walk away from so many people I now consider as friends. I probably won't be as active as before (which will make my wife happy) but I'll still stop by every now and then. I plan on keeping a low profile for a while, at least until the insurance is all settled as I don't want anything to be misinterpreted or to appear to be flippant about the situation.

Thanks again folks, hopefully I'll see some of you around.

Neil.

P.S. I did ask Lotus for one thing - to hurry up with the Eagle 2+2 project!

Glad you are feeling a bit more happier. As you may know I have sold my Exige and to say it may be a bit of an obsession for me is an understatement. :drive: Most people I know are totally shocked that I have sold it. :D But it happens.

I have even been into the garage and seen it there when I know it isn't :):D

You will have another one at some point, you just have to plan things right. It doesn't mean that you can't spend time on MLOC with your friends.

Quote Neil:

"I've read people telling me that it's just a car and it can be replaced, and they are right, however in so many ways it was more than just a car. It was a social life on wheels; a hobby; a constant talking point; an anti-depressant and maybe even an obsession. It wasn't just a car, it was part of me. Losing it feels like losing a family pet - it feels really strange without it sat in the driveway...... "

Here here, i'll drink to that neil.

Neil, ever considered a career as a stuntman? ;)

Glad you feel better anyway. Hope you stick around whatever you do, I don't think MLOC's just about what car you drive. We still talk to Bob and he's got a big silly Chelsea tractor! If your every at any of my trackdays then your more than welcome to a Pax, and if you fancy taking a proper Liz out for a try give me a shout! :wacko:

Glad to hear you are coming round ok. Sorry about posting the photo. I thought not only was it a superb photo but also it should resemble the memories you have of your car, not the images of the accident. But enough said about that.

Good to see back on the forum. Best-a-luck with the bab! I know my wife and I had had similar conversations about the car vs the baby (not that she is pregnant yet lol!)

Anyway, as I said before, I'd be happy to drive over to Hinkley if ever you wanted a run out in The Bug! maybe you can pax on a run with someone. (Until you get your S1 that is :wacko: ) Who knows!

See you round.

Neil

I have rarely read such a touching post :wacko:

You hit on so many truths there.

There is no reason why you cant keep in touch with us lot.

I still talk to my old scooby mates even though its been 3 years since i had one.

You have many things to look forward to.

Hope to see you again soon.

Greg and Ali

We've just been away for the week so I hadn't seen this, but I'm really sorry to see whats happened. Not much more to say other than if you can definitely consider an S1 as a 2nd car - it's a great compromise particularly if it's acccesible enough to use for commuting whenever it takes the urge.

All the best,

Chris

Archived