litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Engine Running Cold

aspen

Right,

The engine has been running at about 76 degrees c (on stack display)

But today after changing the plugs, and air filter the temp has dropped to 69 degrees and won;t go over 72 degrees, even when it's given a bit of welly.

suffice to say I have turned it off and am not driving it untill i can figure out why.

I know the engine temp should be around 80 degrees, and after some checking on line I have discovered that if it runs about 20 degrees (like mine is) below this it could be an issue.

Any idea whay it could be doing this? it's never been above 79 degrees since we had the car (about 4 months)

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aspen..... running cold ;)

Sorry, just thought it was funny :lol:

Can't really help on the temp issue but 76C sounds pretty low to start with. Mine runs at a pretty steady 86C, give or take a few degrees depending on how fast I'm is going or if it's sat in traffic.

Aspen..... running cold ;)

Sorry, just thought it was funny :lol:

Can't really help on the temp issue but 76C sounds pretty low to start with. Mine runs at a pretty steady 86C, give or take a few degrees depending on how fast I'm is going or if it's sat in traffic.

very good :P ,

didn't even see that coming.

I think the guy before has put an 83 degree opening thermo in it. hmm, will look at it this weekend.

Aspen..... running cold :P

Sorry, just thought it was funny ;)

very good :P ,

didn't even see that coming.

I think the guy before has put an 83 degree opening thermo in it. hmm, will look at it this weekend.

My first thoughts were maybe the thermostat has packed in, might be worth trying a fresh one :lol:

More likely to be the temp sensor needing replacement IMO. :)

I have been to halfords and picked up a new thermo (88 degree).

once that's in ill run it and report back on what's what.

wonder how much coolant I'm goint to loose. This could be a fun job.

More likely to be the temp sensor needing replacement IMO. :rolleyes:

I have been to halfords and picked up a new thermo (88 degree).

once that's in ill run it and report back on what's what.

wonder how much coolant I'm goint to loose. This could be a fun job.

If you swap them over quickliy you don't lose much in the way of collant at all.

Just have the new one at the ready (with washer) as the old one is finger tight.

Archived