litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Insurance

spike

i tried to do a search, but i'm 11 pages is excessive... so sorry about reposting this old chestnut, or tell me where to go look please [restrain yourselves...]

any good insurance companies i should consider? - just had a quote through the post from Liverpool Victoria for a little less than what i pay for with adrian flux, but i have declared the stainless exhaust [!!] with AF.

30 [flip] , full no claims, mild modifications [exhaust]

spike

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Spike.

I'm currently phoning round at the moment.

Details are 8yrs NCD, garaged overnight , minor mods, milage less than 8K a year & a B62 postcode.

So far I've had:

Adrian Flux - £445 with £350 excess.

Footman James - £426 with £200 excess.

Heritage - £490 but they're requoting and calling back.

I'm also waiting on A-Plan and after reading through all the insurance posts will be calling CCI, AON and RAC.

HTH.

Do not lie to your insurance company .... for example (see above) Scott reckons he is 35 - this could invalidate his insurance and as for the fact he has a wife 5 years younger than him .... lucky bugger.

I think the general trick is to go to confused.com or moneysupermarket.com to get the basis from which to work. The firms Gerags mentioned are the best and don't forget AON give SELOC/Lotus Club discount. I'm with AON - just remembered to tell them about the exhaust - no extra charge. Asked about going to Le Mans - said I was covered to get there and back but not to enter the 24 hour race !!

kimbo

Hi Spike.

I'm currently phoning round at the moment.

Details are 8yrs NCD, garaged overnight , minor mods, milage less than 8K a year & a B62 postcode.

So far I've had:

Adrian Flux - £445 with £350 excess.

Footman James - £426 with £200 excess.

Heritage - £490 but they're requoting and calling back.

I'm also waiting on A-Plan and after reading through all the insurance posts will be calling CCI, AON and RAC.

HTH.

Well, the rest of the quotes are in.

I have to point out that my minor mods are S2 suspension, Hurricane & Janspeed ss exhaust.

A-Plan quoted £450 with £400 excess

CCI were £545 with £300 excess (but include 4 trackdays with £1k xs)

AON were £752 when mods were included.

And the RAC were over £750 but varied with options.

Do not lie to your insurance company .... for example (see above) Scott reckons he is 35 - this could invalidate his insurance and as for the fact he has a wife 5 years younger than him .... lucky bugger.

Busted ;)

On a side note though, Tesco did want a additional 160 (7 months) for a induction kit. They are expensive when it comes to mods etc

my renewal from Tesco came in at £655 after a bit of haggling. I'm 30 with 7yrs NCD, the car is a S2 111S with Hurricane and Larini. Excess is up at £650 though.

I'm 28 with 2 years NCB, car on private driveway, 5,000 miles a year, quite a few mods declared.

£550 with Adrian Flux

edit: oh yeah, but I do also have my Mondeo ST TDCi with them so maybe having two policies with them brings the cost down a bit.

The mods issue is of more interest to some companies than others.

A mod only really needs to be declared if it is performance enhancing or cosmetic (e.g. spoiler). Consider also that original exhausts will have rotted away on 8 year old S1's, so a Janspeed could be regarded as a legitimate replacement. Janspeed particularly as they were an OEM fit on S160, S135 (albeit the mild steel sports exhaust, not the s/s version). Likewise, replacement dampers would be necessary after that amount of time. Lotus recommend the S2 Bilsteins as replacement for the Konis now.

Do you want track day cover, Spike?

If so, Aon (Esteem), CCI, Autotorque & Heritage all bundle in a number of free days onto their policies. All very realistic when it comes to mods - they're interested in bhp uplift over standard in 10 or 20 increments, so a hurricane & sports exhaust won't make more than 10bhp between them.

2002 S2 with Honda, 5000 Miles a year, 4 trackdays, garaged, social only - £750 ish I think Max NCD and protected and I'm, erm, over 30. (Thats after getting a 10% discount with CCI for renewing my policy after a year)

I think they said the honda/audi etc are the maximum mods and thats a fat 10% loaded onto the premium, so you can pretty much do anything to the car and 10% is the max you'll ever pay (So I'm led to believe)

Spike .... the other way is to insure as a classic car but that way you will loose you NCB after two years of non use.

kimbo

I found this out after speaking at length to Heritage/Norton yesterday.

As they insure your car as a modern classic, basically as a second car, they don't require proof of NCB and give no proof at the end of the insurance.

Hence after 2 years you lose your NCB if not transferred to another car.

They will, in my case, send a letter stating that you have insured with them for the last 12 months without a claim as proof for your next insurer to be used in conjunction with your last proof of no claims.

Now where did I leave that letter ???

:D

thanks guys! will do some ringing around soon...

they all seem to have clauses about the roof, and as for the suspension and exhaust GCCK, i agree, no need to inform them about that - 'official' replacements for worn out bits!

makes you wonder how many people insurances aren't quite upto scratch after they tick boxes on the upgrade list... i imagine very few porsche drivers declare their larger than 'standard' wheel...

was pondering if i should go for one with a couple of track days cover... might venture onto track in the future..

they all seem to have clauses about the roof

I spoke to Chris Knott yesterday who made a point of saying that their cover DID cover the roof.

But they don't cover you to drive other cars (3rd party)

They were £370 without protected no claims or legal cover.

Archived