litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Has Anybody Bought A Car From Paul Matty?

rustyveedub

I looked at a Elise 135r at Paul Matty sports cars yesterday which I am seriously interested in .

Has anybody bought a car from them?

What was their customer service like?

What did you think about the 3 month warranty?

How much could I expect to knock off a 18k (£17995 or £17999?) car with them or what extras would they throw in?

At the moment I am trying to gauge the deal with them against buying private.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i bought my first elise from them and wouldnt recommend it to anybody. The whole thing felt like they were doing you a favour. They know their stuff on the older cars, but their attitude was not helpful. Oh and re: the warranty, i took mine back because the window mechanism was failing and the boot release was sticky. the guy actually made a point of coming to tell me that this was not what the warranty was for and it was mechanical only.

never again.

JM

Due to the last two responses things aren’t looking good for Mr Matty. Unfortunately my views are not too dissimilar. I took a drive to Paul Mattys when I was looking for an Elise and they didn't come across too clever in my eyes. I was in the very same situation you are at the moment in relation to a sport 160, but when asking questions about the dealer it was met with much the same response you have had so far.

Bottom line is I bought my car from Goldstar Racing developments in Basingstoke and booked my car into Paul Matty for an A service and cam belt change which turns out was a rip off in terms of pricing after posting the price on a forum. I ended up making some excuse that I couldn't make it and booked it into Horizon for the work to be done. However, there was a spate of replies to my thread from people that had taken there pride and joy to Paul Mattys and ended up finding damage to the car on collection that the dealer wasn't willing to take responsibility for.

Doesn't bode well unfortunately. Wish I could be more positive.

Andy

I fully agree with the dim view of Paul Matty Sportscars held on these boards.

When i was looking for an Elise I went to them to look around and showed an interest in an Azure blue S1 they had at the time simply because I'd never driven an Elise before and wanted to know what it was like. After standing around in the showroom for about 20 minutes with nobody showing me any attention I had to ask for some help. Paul Matty himself took me for a test drive and to be honest didn't exactly sell me the car, his comments about how much women loved a bloke in an Elise didn't do much for me either, it was as though he thought that was the only reason I was considering it!

The car was crap too, very loose feeling and with damaged body panels which he said would be fixed before delivery. Can't think why they had it on the forecourt in that condition.

Oh and when I asked about the price the most he would knock of the £14k asking price was £200 and if definitely wasn't worth that much.

I sometimes drop in to look at the older cars they have there, but I wouldn't bother buying from them.

RustyVeedud

The beauty of the Elise is that you have loads of car for sale in your price & age bracket. Pistonheads has 110 S2 at the moment that are private and trade.

I hope that is a mistake with my name :blink:

If you read my other thread, Which you obviously have you will see there are only three possible cars on PistonHeads and one of them is sold ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Rusty

I have bought a couple of cars from PMSC. I have found them to be attentive but not all over me like some others who jump on you as soon as you walk in the door!

They are very knowledgable on all the Loti range old and new.

Any issues that i have had with the cars that i have purchased have been resolved without quibble!

Some people just dont bring out the best in others i suppose

Been to Matty's a few times, they know there stuff but I went to Sailsbury to Sportamotive.com, they were really helpful and rich used to race lotus's, what a test drive!!!!

I had to go back a week later with a throttle problem and had 2 guys working on the car for an hour, no charge and they refitted the centre console too. Lots of free coffee, always good. Got 12 month warrenty on a 99 plate S1 too.

You can buy warrenties from the AA which I would always do once the dealer one runs out. Only cost around £150 for the year!!!! If you dont buy from a dealer, get a car that the owner brought from one and the dealer knows the car to check up on it! Get an AA inspection too!!

B)

Archived