litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Loudish Rattling Noise!

Mish

Hi,

My S1 '98 Elise is making a loudish rattling noise when rev'ed @ 1500rpm even whilst stood still, at first I thought it was the rear undertray which is still rattling as I'm in the process of finding some bolts to sort it but its not.

It sounds like its coming from the cocktpit side of the engine and is like a loudish rattle, I'm thinking its something like a loose heat shield...

Any ideas anyone?

Any common faults like this, loose bits etc.?

Temperature is at a constant 84 degrees, theres loads of water, oil is at max and it drives really well so I didn't think it was anything major but it is a little un-nerving, only seemed to be happening tonight, I have not heard it before....

Many thanks in advance,

H

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hamish, take both of the rear undertrays off and try it again. The cables underneath are well known to cause rattling noises.

Yep very likely braiding on the downpipe coming apart which touches the undertray making an awful noise.

Mine did the same and it was the heatshield on the exhaust manifold. Give it a wiggle and check for movement.

Yep Mine to

Just come from under mine as the heat sheild had corroded round one of the nuts and was resting on the under tray, just fixed the badger back on and the noise has gone.

Just take the rear wheel of and give it a wiggle even when its fixed where it should be it only gives 1cm gap btween the under tray so not much room for movment.

Thanks for the replys guys,

I HAVE FOUND THE RATTLE!!! yey!!!!!

Is the joint between the downpipe and the next bit of exhaust. I'm gonna have to get the car jacked up, get under there and tighten them me tinks..

I was wondering what do people recomend to put on the bolts...like a locktight or somthing like that?? I was going to remove and clean them before re-fit....I'm sure I've heard of people using sealants etc. on exhausts?????????

H :)

Hamish, you can use a sealent but it should really be a last resort. When you take it apart there should be a stainless steel gasket between the 2 parts. That is normally enough to seal the joint. If its the one between the manifold and flexy section it can be a pain to get at. You will need a long extension with a knuckle joint on. Good luck :)

Archived