litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Has The Starter Motor Given Up?

LIVY

Hi All

was wondering whether anyone can give me some advice.

My liz (S1) has been struggling to start after a good while sitting in the garage. The last time I had it running it had a full C service so everything is new. Plugs Etc.

Battery was flat so I charged it up and gave it another go. It tried to start but nothing.

I have a clifford alarm fitted so I bypassed that and still nothing, so I went out and bought a brand new battery, I fitted it and tried again. Still it wouldn't turn over.

What can I do to identify whether it's the starter motor and what should be looking for in the engine bay.

Any help would be grateful as it's about time I got her out in the sunshine.

Cheers

Mark (Livy)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd suspect the battery before the starter motor. Try jumpstarting it with leads and see if that improves matters.

If it is the starter it is usually the solenoid (and then hitting it with a mallet may free it, at least temporarilly) I have seen people test whether it's the switch by arc'ing across it but this is a bit dodgy although satisfies the test. Ultimately if it's the starter then you just need to get a recon one or backtrack through Seloc classifieds for a used one.

Livy, does the starter motor 'prime' when you turn the key to the first click (should make a whirring noise followed by a click)? Do you get any dash lights etc to suggest the battery is ok?

If the starter motor primes, it's amlost certainly not the problem, if it doesn't then that's probably what it is.

There's a fuse or relay in the panel in between the back of the seats which may have blown, or as chorton suggests you could try hitting it with something as it may have just jammed.

It may also be that the inertia switch has 'popped' and needs re-setting (not sure where this is on an Elise, but your manual will have a piccy).

Starter motor's not a cheap job if you need a new one unfortunately. :lol:

HTH. :angry:

Thanks Guys

I have just bought a brand new Battery as I thought this may be the problem but it hasn't help.

There is a click and whirring noise when I turn the ignition on but when I try to crank it open it just doesn't fire.

I had a C Service done at Horizon some time ago and haven't really driven her since so she has been stuck in the garage.

Will check the inertia switch and the fuse behind the seat and let you know.

Anything else you can think of that I can try will be helpful.

Thanks again

Livy

Livy, does the starter motor 'prime' when you turn the key to the first click (should make a whirring noise followed by a click)? Do you get any dash lights etc to suggest the battery is ok?

Er, think that's the fuel pump priming not the starter motor ?????

There is a click and whirring noise when I turn the ignition on but when I try to crank it open it just doesn't fire.

Will check the inertia switch and the fuse behind the seat and let you know.

If it's whirring, then I don't think it's the inertia switch. If that goes, it's to isolate the fuel pump in the event of a crash. Also, on an S1, some cars have them in the boot (passenger side, near the boot / engine bay divider).

Is it a gentle whirring noise when the ignition is turned on but before turning the key to start the car (fuel pump priming) ?

Or is it a harsher clicking noise when trying to turn the engine (chattering, metallic noise) ?

If it's the latter, then there's probably a problem with the battery power / connections / starter motor.

Hi Dobbo

when I switch on the ignition theres a whirring noise and a couple of clicks before I try and turn itover.

I have just gone out to the car and checked the inertia switch by ensuring it's depressed which it is.

I have also removed the dizzy cap and checked its ok. It was bone dry but I noticed a little bit of white powder on the connections so I have cleaned them up as well as the rotar arm and sprayed everything with WD40.

Still not sure whats wrong though.

The petrol guage is reading 13 litres which I would have thought would be enough. The car has been standing for ages and as I mentioned before the battery was flat but I have replaced it with a new one.

Got any other ideas?

frustration is definately kicking in......

Cheers

Livy

When you switch the ignition on (but don't go as far as trying to turn the engine), there should be a few seconds of gentle whiring. This is the fuel pump pressurising the system. It then stops, and if you switch off and on again, it shouldn't happen (as the system is still pressurised).

There's also another gentle clicking noise, which is the speedo and rev counter needles being pushed backwards to ensure that they're zeroed properly. Try watching the needles to see if this is what you're hearing.

If you then turn the key to start the engine, this is when the harsher noise will happen (assuming it doesn't turn over). I think that this is when the starter motor tries to turn the engine but can't so if bounces back off.

Can you confirm which of these noises you're getting ?

Hi Dobbo

yep I get the whirring as you described and the ticking from the speedo.

I don't seem to be getting the harsher noise. Just the whine of the engine trying to turn over from the battery if that makes sense.

I have even just been out to get more petrol just incase I was being a dumbass and hadn't got enough in but theres now 23 ltrs so it's not that.

I have checked the fuse for the fuel pump and thats ok and I have checked the ingnition fuse 5amp in the front and thats fine as well.

The annoying thing is I'm not in the AA/RAC anymore so I can't even call them out.

Livy

If the engine is turning over but not firing then I'm afraid you are into 'traditional' fault diagnosis - i.e. have you got fuel and spark?

Fuel is a bit trickier to check but it is rare for this to be the problem, particularly if the fuel pump sounds normal.

For checking spark you can remove a spark plug and rest the tip of the plug against the block and turn the ignition - a nice blue spark should occur. If you get none at all or even a yellow spark then you have an ignition problem (leads, distributor cap/arm, coil etc).

If you know any decent mechanic (amateur or pro) they should be able to help you to confirm the spark, engine turnover etc.

The annoying thing is I'm not in the AA/RAC anymore so I can't even call them out.

Have you got a mate who is? "You're the member, not the car" spings to mind :lol:

EDIT: Forgot to add, when my starter motor died i got a constant clicking sounds when trying to start. The motor was disengaging too early. Give it a bash with a hammer :drool:

Er, think that's the fuel pump priming not the starter motor ?????

D'oh! :drool: Got fuel pumps on the brain these days. Sorry. :lol:

Archived