litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Fire!

Mark H

Just had my car catch fire! Have been on hols for a few weeks, backed it off the drive and everything was fine, got to the roundabout 50ft up the road and lost my brakes, went around the roundabout to pull over and smoke appears in the cabin.

Jumped out and lifted the front compartment and the brake fluid was boiling over and the wiring shield by the battery was smouldering.

Managed to put it out myself and the fire brigade came and took the battery out and checked it over, just waiting for the RAC now to take it to Nick Whale.

Glad I had a fire extinguisher as by the time the fire brigade arrived the whole front of the car would have gone. Cant see any obvious damage, looks like the brake fluid may have corroded a wire and shorted it!?

:)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeh I cant imagine standing there waiting for the Fire Brigade and thinking there is nothing you can do to put it out, worth getting an extinguisher if you dont have one! Especially on a non metal car :)

I'm actually still on an adrenaline high at the moment, will wait for the low when I get the bill.

tough break :) glad you're ok, even if your wallet is going to suffer :D

you should buy shares in the fire extinguisher company, cos it looks like there will be a fair few sales after this thread... i know i'm gonna get one now....

Bad luck Mark. :)

Glad to hear you managed to put the fire out yourself or i'm sure things would have been a lot worse.

Hope it's not done too much damage and that you get it sorted soon without too much pain to your wallet.

Think I need to buy an extinguisher after reading this.....

I left a paper rag on the top of the boot bag, which dislodged and caught fire. Fortunately, my parents-in-law had bought me a fire extinguisher :) . Unfortunately, I hadn't fitted it into the car :( . Fortunately the rag burnt itself out without causing any damage - bloody lucky though.

Did I learn my lesson and fit the extinguisher? Did I bollocks! Although I may fit it tonight now......

Archived