litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

All Activity

This stream auto-updates

1. Today
  2. What sort of mileage has it done? Big track day miles on sticky tyres will have an affect on the suspension. Again I’m not saying there’s anything untoward it’s what they’re built for, it’s just something I’d be checking closely.
  3. You don't' have to teel me about that, it's been a 10 year inner battle for me and still won't go away - Elise or Exige? -Elise or Exige? - Elise or Exige? - Elise or Exige? -Elise or Exige? - Elise or Exige? - Elise or Exige? -Elise or Exige? - Elise or Exige? - Elise or Exige? -Elise or Exige? - Elise or Exige? ..... you get the idea! You know that I bloody LOVE the Exige V6, it's a proper event to drive on faster roads and has fabulous supercar looks, but for Peak District back roads the Elise is just more playful, more fun
  4. Agreed Dunc, and it’s also part of the reason I sold my V6. That and the fact the Elise is so much more nimble on a B road. You really feel the difference.
  5. To be fair it's not just the tax though Dave, general running costs for the V6 are also higher than for an Elise, tyres, brakes, fuel, servicing..... it all adds up. Regarding the tyres, use them as a bargaining point but then take the car without them and see how it feels. If the wheels/tyres have been stored indoors in a cool place for long periods of time (maybe even wrapped in cling film, who knows?) then they could well be ok. Regardless, they will almost certainly be ok for dry/summer use
  6. It’s the first question I am going to ask him when I ring him later today. From what I can make out, I think the car has spent most of its life on track so a second set of wheels and tyres makes sense.
  7. I wasn’t questioning the quality of the car, I’m sure it’s a belter, I was just pointing you towards the Cup FB group as they have more model specific knowledge when it comes to Cup cars, they are a pretty rare beast and most are known to the group. The tyres issue is up to you, if it was me I’d be asking why such a fastidious owner has such old tyres on the car despite the spare set of wheels, I’d offer to go half’s with the seller on a new set.
  8. Yesterday
  9. Pete_72

Lakes District

I drove a s**t hire car from Inverness to Thurso years ago. It was a really nice drive I could see me doing it in the Lotus NP. I have an eye on Glencoe looks nice drive. Plenty of E5 in Scotland? Its a pain to get it here and almost non existent in Ireland ffs.
  10. CDM2018

Lakes District

After you done Lake District plan going up to Scotland and do NC500 scenery even better !
  11. I dont believe you're being unreasonable or necessarily reasonable. I think your right when you say 'In my mind they need replacing". Do it. you'll not get peace of mind otherwise. I've got the same tyres on mine and of the same age and prob same decent condition. Yes they will be less grippy than new. But in actuality they may well have loads of mechanical grip left for a fews years yet. When I say actuality, I mean from a recent driving course at millbrook where the car wouldn't spin on the lake of standing water which is the skid pan unless you were in first and booted it while doing a Scandinavian flick. In second it just hung on like a limpet until oversteer. The instructor couldn't believe it. After that my car was driven by a pro driver with me as a passenger round the alpine hill circuit faster than anyone here could dream of driving. Pro drivers feedback after that session..."God I love elises just as good as I remember but probably a little over tyred on the modern rubber". Just giving you another reference point in support of Dave99 initial observation. I also just bought a new set of wheels with brand new v105. The tread looks like mondao man but the rubber feels really grippy. I'm sure they will be excellent road and all weather tyre for most. If it was me I'd test drive it and if happy make use of the tyres until the tread or the grip levels tell me otherwise. But then "in my mind they probably don't need replacing" 🤣 Good luck with the purchase. The car looks amazing MrWill 👍 Ps I bought new wheels...I was just lucky in that they came with fresh rubber 😉
  12. I got an email from the previous owner. He’s given me a lot of info about the car. Rad has been replaced and upgraded. Upgraded brake pads (Pagid RS14), Dot 5 brake fluid. Aircon was recently overhauled. Degassed and new seals. Gear cables have been recently replaced and gearbox mounts have been upgraded. New windscreen 500 miles ago. He’s a qualified motorsport engineer, so all consumables were checked and replaced at very regular intervals. He’s moved abroad to work, hence sale of the car. He’s given me his contact number so I can call him tomorrow and get any other questions answered quickly. 👍
  13. The V105 Yoko tyres that Lotus fitted on the late model 220 Sports aren't that expensive and last pretty well - I have them and like them, so does Dunc on his cup but I know DaveB isn't keen on them! I think they are still less than £400 for a full set and are a lot better in the heavy rain and cold than track day type tyres like AO52s and Toyo 888Rs (although they are awesome in the dry warm weather).
  14. Might be worth asking on the Elise Cup Facebook group, someone will know the car, it’s the only reason I have a FB account😂. To be fair it’s at the low end price wise if your after a Cup so I guess it’s not going to be perfect. They’re a fantastic car, I’m sure you’ll be very happy with it if you do buy it. For the record my Cup was fitted with AO52’s from the factory, I got just over 2.5k out of the rears with no track days🙄😃 Elise can go places those big old Exiges can’t get 😉
  15. This is true!! With any purchase you have to weigh up the pros and cons. The V6 Exige will cost more to insure, more to tax, more to run and more to service. Having driven both, the Elise is much more up my street.
  16. Yes. it is. Previous owner was a chap called David Pittard.
  17. Price does seem a bit chunky relative to others out there…but if you’re set on Toxic Green that thins the field! Certainly use the aged tyres as a price-bargaining tactic, even though I’m sure the existing ones would be fine for your new car ‘learning’! Is that the Chesterfield one…wonder who the ‘pro-driver’ previous owner was?
  18. Always makes me chuckle a little when someone is spending £40,000 ish, but the extra £250 (or whatever) a year in tax is a deal breaker. It’s £20 a month. I had a V6 once, decided to cut back on takeaways and the weight saving makes the car go faster too !!
  19. Pete_72

Lakes District

NP planned for 3 stops and any "essential stops!", Buttermere for 1/2 hr or so B4 lunch, Wasdale 4 lunch and a wander around Tarn Hows lake late afternoon. Its a full day 9am - 6pm.
  20. Great looking car - on those forged wheels you will easily be able to put some 205s on the front, or 195s depending what you go for 😎
  21. The jack stickers are because I have the hockey style pucks installed between the undertrays and the chassis, means you don't have to remove the undertrays to lift the rear only.
  22. Rear undertrays cleaned up and given a lick of paint
  23. My thoughts exactly!! I just wanted to sense-check whether I was being unreasonable! It's lovely car............. It's either this or a S2 Exige S240. Not much in it price wise and this one is a bit newer so doesn't feel quite as bad!! Yes. There is plenty of tread on these. I've contacted the previous owner. He would have had a 2nd set of wheels as the car spent most of it's time doing track days. Mileage is 29,000. The last year the car has been sat in a garage. Driven a few miles every week just to keep the car ticking over. I have discounted V6 Exige as running costs are too high. I could insure and tax this one for less that it costs to tax the V6 Exige (£695/year)
  24. Agree with all of this !! I changed the tyres on my S2sc to Ad08 in 2013 - 205 on the front and were fine. -At the time the AD07 fronts were virtually non existant, Lotus would have had stock for new cars, but their supplies were running out. I suspect the previous owner had another set of wheels/tyres and ran those. When they shifted the car they would have sold their other set of wheels, unless they bought another elise. Is there pleny of tread on these ? Whats the car milage ?
  25. Crikey yes I think I’d be looking at private V6 Exiges at that kind of money - they do pop up now and again under £40k…. Dean makes a fair point. The car I had with old tyres was rarely driven. If you’re going to be driving it regularly and spiritedly then I’d definitely want new tyres on it.
  26. I would want to change tyres that old, particularly if you plan on using it in the wet and cold. I would be using it as a haggling point on a £38k car. That's a lot of money by the way!
  1. Load more activity

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Terms of Use