litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Water Temp Keeps Dropping Help

keo

Hi everyone i need a bit of help please. I have got a 2005 Elise 111R (Toyota engine).

It takes a long time for any water temp to even appeae on the dash. It doesn't get up to temp and stay there either. Temp drops, if i am driving a steady 60mph say the temp can go off the dash again.

I thought it could be the stat is stuck open, that is why it takes so long to warm up?

It is anoying as i could be on a long drive, then want to put my foot down and "go on cam". The car won't do it then as it says it is cold even though i have been driving a while.

When i first had the car it warmed up a lot quicker and held a higher temp, can't remember the exact figure now. But for arguments sake it would reach 87'c and then stay there.

Any help very much appreciated. Thanks James

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought it could be the stat is stuck open, that is why it takes so long to warm up?

I think this will be the problem.

They are difficult to get to on those engines IIRC  :-(

Sorry i meant to post this in technical.

Does the stat regulate the temp as well then? That is why when it is working correctly it can hold a steady temp.

Not hust fully open or fully closed?

No idea where the stat even is, i havent looked yet. ????

Yes it's job is to keep the temperature stable if it is stuck open you are getting too much cooling. If the stat was working properly it would slowly open and close as it needed to to control the flow of cooler water coming in from the radiator.

The stat is at the bulkhead side of the engine under the alternator sad.png

Hi.

I had similar problem recently after having new rad fitted.

Gav at unit 4 burton sorted for me at a reasonable cost, 

he can fit relatively easily (for him, not me) and a keen price.

hth

rich

Hi

Sorry i thought i replied yesterday, must of pressed the wrong button on my phone!

I rang Gav up and got it booked in yesterday for next week. I did think about having a go and doing it myself, but read a few guides/ people saying it is a nightmare. So thought against it

You won't go wrong down at Gavs, especially now he's a dab hand with a kettle...... Allegedly.

When the stat stuck open on my Golf Rallye I covered 50% of the grill / rad so the car would at least get warm whilst waiting to get in at a garage.

Archived