litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Steering Wheel Centre Refurb?

MattyB

I have blue seats...and blue door cards, but my steering wheel centre is grey (and a little scruffy). Any suggestions on the best place for a refurb?

Also, on a similar note, what are people doing about the centre console around the handbrake? Again, looking a little tired. I'm not sure whether to wrap it, paint it or replace it?

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've recovered a centre boss before, worst bit was the cost of the alcantara. The boss pulls off and is easy to re-cover if you take your time. In regards to the centre tunnel it's either buy a new one, cover, or paint as you say. Recovering I found to be a pita, buying new was easy but ££'s, painting was pretty straight forward but getting the &@&£/; back on without scratching it was hard work....you pays your money etc etc. 135r's also had the instrument binnacle covered, but that would be a step too far for my amateur skills.

Hth....

Hm...never thought about trying to re-cover the steering wheel myself. I found a price of £45 to do the centre of the wheel, didn't seem too bad - but you only need a bit of fabric if doing it yourself, and it only seems to be available in big rolls which come close to the cost of getting someone else to do it for you!

The centre tunnel I'm not sure about. As you say, difficult bit is removal and refitting!!

Hi Matty, I've got an Blue Alcantara Wheel Centre in fairly good nick you are welcome to have a look at and I can recommend having your centre tunnel done - mine was grey & scratched and I had it done for £50 in Lava Orange (body colour). I found removing it fairly easy. Are you ever near Sheffield then you can come & look at the wheel centre, we can remove your tunnel & take it for spraying.

If you want to recover your wheel yourself, contact Woolies. They will send you swatches of colour/material and usually have small pieces of fabric lying around to buy. I did my own wheel centre for about a fiver - they also sell you the correct glue. 

http://www.woolies-trim.co.uk/

Cheers, Andrew 

Archived