litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Paint Improvement Advice

DeanB

I need MLOC's advice. I have recently bought a new daily driver, a darkish blue BMW. It's in good nick but it is 6 years old and the paintwork is a bit dull, there are some swirls etc.

What I want is to get the paint in good condition so I can set about applying a couple of coats of good wax.

My question is, how do I do it? What products do I need? Is it a good idea to get some sort of mechanical polisher, and if so what type? Bearing in mind I am a novice and don't want to do any damage and I only really want to spend a day on it. I don't want to go mad.

Thanks in advance for your help guys.

Dean

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Paintwork is pretty hard on a BMW, you won't get rid of the swirls by hand. 2 options, mask them with a polish that contains some

filler which will give a slight short term improvement or give it a machine polish to remove the swirls. I've got a couple of DA machines but only finishing pads (as VX/Lotus paint is soft as shite!) welcome to borrow one but you would need to buy a medium cut/ swirl removal pad. So long as the car is properly cleaned (and ideally clayed) you need to be totally hamfisted to mess it up with a DA polisher. Good few hours with that then a decent wax/sealent should see it right.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I bought this kit for my first attempt with a machine polisher, as Luke says using a dual action polisher you shouldn't go far wrong..

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-dual-action-polisher-menzerna-intro-kit/prod_720.html

I reckon I'd allow a full weekend though including washing and claying beforehand....if you're not going mad on it cool.png

Spot on advice here from Luke and Phil. I have the DAS 6 Pro DA too and have used it on the S160, only once as it didn't need any more than that.

I'd echo what Luke has said re pads/compounds, and also it can help to moisten the pads first.

Definitely clay it beforehand too.

The good thing is that BMW paint is very hard so there's plenty of scope for increasing the abrasion with the pads/compounds.

What kind of beemer did you go for Dean? I bought a 6 yr old 525d six-pot tourer last year (F11) and it is a great motor.

Thanks Phil and Dave. The motor is a 320d m sport touring with 50k miles and I absolutely love it. It's the perfect daily commute and family bus.

So assuming I borrow a da polisher what polish do I need to buy? And do they all use the same pads?

I recently purchased a das6 machine polisher along with Meguiars 105 and 205 polish.

After cleaning and before polishing I use a farecla g3 clay mitt for its ease and quickness.

I use hex logic pads, an orange one with the the 105 for paint correction then a white pad with the 205 to finish.

To seal if I have time I use collinite 476s wax or if in in a rush gtechniq c2v3

Hi Dean

If you can borrow someones DA Polisher - ( You can borrow mine if you want to come to Sutton Coldfield ). Meguiars Microfiber system is the way to go for novices! Next to zero chance of any damage with a DA Polisher - one to correct, one to wax! The results are absolutely stunning for a very low cost (check out youtube - couldn't be easier). If you are feeling flush and want a polisher too then here's a link for a 'kit', if not microfibre pads and correction fluid available separately.

Mark

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/polishing-machines/das-6-pro-plus-dual-action-polisher/das-6-pro-plus-meguiars-microfibre-kit/prod_1454.html

Blimey Chris that sounds fantastic but way too complicated for me!

The Meguiars Microfiber System sounds just the ticket. I had a look on youtube and it looks quick and easy - ideal for me.

I presume the meguiars pads fit on to any make of da polisher?

Where is the best place to buy the stuff, does anyone know?

This was the kit I bought. It really is good for novice like me, I was worried of doing damage but it is near impossible to do any damage.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=1212

If you check out detailing world forum there's usually 5-10% discount codes.

There are some really in depth videos on youtube by a guy called jankman2000 who goes through every aspect of using a machine polisher.

Pads are universal you just need to make sure you have the right size backing plate, most come with a 5" plate so 5-6" pads are used.

Archived