litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Knocking Noise..baffled!

Thomas Harborne

Hi all hope everyone is well. I seem to have developed a knocking noise from the rear of the car behind the passenger seat.

Got my head inside the engine bay, not coming from the engine block and does it whilst stationary. It doesn't alter with revs either. Planning on taking the car.over to gavs in the new year but just wondered if anyone has experienced anything similar?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The charcoal canister valve is a solenoid valve, so is usually a clicking noise rather than knocking, but that could depend how bad the valve is.  Easy enough to check, though.  Simple connector for the wiring with a spring tab to release it.  Car will run fine with it disconnected and no MoT issues either, which makes you wonder why it was ever fitted !

Not sure where it is on the S2, but this should help (still looks like the engine bulkhead behind the pax seat)  

https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=0&MDL=0&TBL=0&SMA=1&SMO=14&ST=charcoal&SC=0&PBID=40084

Unfortunately, DeRoure says this part has been replaced, and also shows the replacement as obsolete !

Cheers Dobbo ill take a look tomorrow. Car is S2 Elise.

The charcoal canister valve is a solenoid valve, so is usually a clicking noise rather than knocking, but that could depend how bad the valve is. Easy enough to check, though. Simple connector for the wiring with a spring tab to release it. Car will run fine with it disconnected and no MoT issues either, which makes you wonder why it was ever fitted !

Not sure where it is on the S2, but this should help (still looks like the engine bulkhead behind the pax seat)

https://www.deroure.com/partinfo.asp?MAK=0&MDL=0&TBL=0&SMA=1&SMO=14&ST=charcoal&SC=0&PBID=40084

Unfortunately, DeRoure says this part has been replaced, and also shows the replacement as obsolete !

I had this rattle once on my old one, turned out to be a crack in my zorst..

Spot of gav welding and it was all sorted....take it to gavs, you could be forever trying to find it...

Yeah thats the plan, although i wont have time until after christmas but thats not a problem. I'll check the cannister tomorrow. If it isn't that ill call gav and book it in.

I had this rattle once on my old one, turned out to be a crack in my zorst..

Spot of gav welding and it was all sorted....take it to gavs, you could be forever trying to find it...

Hi guys finally got round to checking the charcoal cannister. It is definitely the solenoid. Got the car warm and knocking started behind passenger seat, felt the top of the solenoid and could feel/hear it knocking. Unplugged and disappeared straight away.

Next question, can i replace or even clean this? Easy to get hold of one?

Archived