litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Tyres For Road And Track

nexus4

I run ZZR's on the Exige and to be honest they have been great. I also drove to Spa (last year though) did a wet trackday and they was fine. Just had to respect them a little until you could feel then starting to grip (get some heat in them). 

However they do not like standing water/cold weather mix and have progressively got worse as they have worn down. That includes dry weather grip. This is all mainly track work though as i don't really push at all on the roads either. 

I have recently purchased a second set of wheels that are fitted with nearly new R1R's. On the road these tyres feel great and far more suited than the ZZr's . The ride is a LOT less harsh and reduced road noise. 

However on track (Donington) they really did make the car feel strange and alien compared to the ZZR's. The initial turn in was aggresive, but then felt like the car wanted to oversteer mid corner even though i felt that i wasn't pushing. (I was initially concerned as i had recently altered my spring rates and front roll bar and thought that i had wrecked the cars handling.) 

I quickly put my other set of wheels on with ZZR's and went back out on track. Car was back to how i am used to again. Big relief. 

I have noticed that the R1R's even though they are 205 wide they are no wider than the ZZR 195? 

Also the R1R's are 45's compared to the ZZr 50's. In theory the R1R's should be wider but about the same diameter, but in reality they are not wider and are a fair amount less in diameter maybe as much as 20mm. To me this explains why the car felt so different on track. 

I will be using the ZZr's for all track work (except standing water and conditions where i cant get heat in them) and the R1R's for all road driving and the other trackdays.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Up to temperature R888's were pretty good in the rain.

Cheers Matin I'm going to stick with what I know for now and go with the ZZS. I will likely use the S1 very occasionally on track but mainly on the road.

I've now got Zzrs on mine which I think are great..

When I ran my previous as a daily I had on ad08s... I thought they were super. I don't think you will go far wrong with them Ian....

So zzr or ad08s from me.....

I had to put 205 on the front but with no issues at all....

Archived