litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

M42 Possibly Sneaky Speed Cameras.

jonnyfox

I'd just pulled onto the M42 at the Belfrey south bound to Bham Airport this evening when a load of flashes on the other carriageway slip road caught my attention. Fairly sure they were coming from two cameras with a bunch of maintenance men working under them, it looked like they were being tested. I later saw the same cameras pointing up the NEC junction slip road which I came off. These cameras are yellow. My son took a few pictures on the way home. Now it could be nothing but the fact they are yellow raises alarm bells with me and the flashes whilst they could have been the orange light onto on the van were something very similar to what a speed camera does, it was quick fire white light.

Anyway could be nothing but maybe something us locals should take into account in the future.

IMG_20160915_182730_edit_edit_zpssqn12bz

IMG_20160915_182728_edit_edit_zpsqqhxqi3

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I see the m1 cameras going off every now and again, generally when the reduced speed is on...

They definately don't go off all the time, I'm always checking when a car is going stupid fast past me...

I've been led to believe today that the Shirley camera has been active for a while but the others have been undergoing testing and are due online Monday. It is what it is people, blame the Aussie's :-) a toughie especially on a motorway but what you gonna do....

Think yourselves lucky/unlucky you're not out here in the UAE! Speed cameras are everywhere, grey, moved around, hidden behind shrubs, in vehicles... However, the margin between the actual speed limit and the camera threshold is published. 120kph limit on the main highways, but cameras are set at 140kph. (Bought myself a 3.5l V6 Ford Edge, useless on bends, but handles 139kph well.)

The downside is that on local roads, depending on the emirate you're actually in, there is either a 20% margin or none at all, depending on whether the emirate needs to make some money or not from drivers speeding out of Dubai. ...its not always clear to a foreigner when you've crossed into a new emirate.

To clarify, I asked 2 questions if anybody knows the answers to them?

I don't.

Either way, we've been warned...:drive:

HADECS3 camera heads are active at all times; each head uses dual-band radar - and can simultaneously track and distinguish between five lanes of moving traffic. They are reported to be capable of both spot and average speed measurement.

Archived