litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Blanked Off Pipes From Throttle Body

Mutley00

I've just had my 2001 S2 Bell & Colvill 160 Elise serviced by Chris Foulds, when I reported a slight 'hunting' of revs by about 1000 rpm at idle.

Chris noticed that the pipes for both the Idle Air Control Valve and Cam Cover breather have been blanked off on the Throttle Body, with the Cam Cover now venting to air via a filter.

Can anyone with a B&C 160 check their engine please, to see if this was a common practice performed by Minister Racing who did the upgrade. Me & Chris have both tried Minister and either the line is dead or no-one answers the phone.

Anyone any clues as to why this may have been done?

Thanks and regards, Andrew

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is quite common to vent the crankcase to the atmosphere via a filer instead of connecting to the inlet tract, it is slightly better for power output and keeps the inlet free of oil contamination. ( it can cause fumes though )

It also sounds like the idle is controlled without the control valve, this is also often done using ignition timing and fuel injection via the ECU .

Not sure how B&C set up their conversions though, so not much help really sorry

I would start by checking for an air leak on the inlet manifold, then look to the various sensors ( temperature, throttle position sensor, Lambda etc )

Also check the ignition system,

I'm sure Chris Foulds will already have Checked all the above.

You can run without the IACV. However to compensate the Throttle butterfly has to be slightly open at idle. This allows some air in to add to the fuel. In affect doing what the IACV does. As its how its been running do as Russ says and check for air leaks on the inlet first.

Archived