litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Find Me A Track Car...

Simon Mac

My R300 is awesome. I cannot recommend one highly enough. Kept by BaT arrive and drive. No trailer, zero hassle and so easy on consumables. There is not a lot faster on circuit.

Used to be BaT 3 once upon a time.

post-3191-0-30218100-1470604319_thumb.jpeg

post-3191-0-89799300-1470604336_thumb.jpeg

post-3191-0-78253500-1470604361_thumb.jpeg

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am do the same as Jonny but with the BaT Academy car which is only 4ish seconds a lap down on a R300 at Donny (it will be much more than that with me driving). I thought about getting Bat to store and look after my Exige or a worn S1 on arrive and drive but the ease of maintenance of a Cat and ease of repair (clams, suspension mounts) if you bend it changed my mind to the cat.

I am trying to get Jonny L from bat to offer BookaTrailor so you can turn up and tow your own car to track days not visited by BaT. Then it will all be perfect. Hope to get my car soon........

My R300 is awesome. I cannot recommend one highly enough. Kept by BaT arrive and drive. No trailer, zero hassle and so easy on consumables. There is not a lot faster on circuit.

Used to be BaT 3 once upon a time.

Thanks Jonny, that's a really interesting idea.

They don't mention this service on their site, but it did give me the idea to rent one to see how I get on first anyway. Maybe an Academy car for the first outing to see how I get on!

Dean I think it might be this one :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/99229870@N04/25833248371/in/photostream/

http://classifieds.seloc.org/ads/s1-elise-trophy-car/

It's done a lot of track time, which I'll admit makes me a little nervous. What would the pro's be vs buying something standard if a little tatty bodywork wise, then spending the difference on some targeted upgrades?

Simon I would expect the difference would be cost. To get a standard car to the same spec as a race car usually costs a lot more than simply buying a car with it all done.

I should emphasise though that I only advocate this if you seriously think you might want to scratch that racing itch. If you aren't bothered about racing then I think the Caterham and the Ariel are probably better bets.

Racing is amazing though. It's a different level of awesome. If I had the money I would be doing Elise Trophy right now, no question.

I get where you are coming from Dean, and can certainly see the logic.

Whether or not I have the free time to actually do the racing right now is more of a question. Now in a couple of years time, if all goes according to plan, I should be in a position to do something.

So my rough thoughts are get some more track time under my belt, with a car I'll find easy enough to sell on (the Ariel has merit here).

I know where there is a beautiful very well spec'd and build Honda powered S1 for sale?  clap.gif

Everything that has been needed and much more already been done. 

Jon Seals by any chance?

I thought I recognised a certain exhaust manifold ;)

Its actually mine, but i currently have Jon selling it for me.

If it doesnt go soon then i will probably just bring it back and garage it.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Simon,

I have a brilliant time on track with my car it's a 120bhp k series.

Nitron NTR Hoffman specs

R1r road tyres. Bang for buck it's fab value

Alex, TBH it's you, Russ and Jody, that have inspired me to go this route ;)

I'm sure you guys have just as much fun as me on the track days we've been to. I certainly wouldn't say I had any more or less fun in my (our) old Elise vs the Exige on track. So it seems a bit daft to go through the extra tyre / depreciation expense / damage concerns of running the Exige.

What really sealed the deal, was being PAX'd in Russ's car. The difference in suspension/tire combo was immediately noticeable. It just felt more at home on track.

Turned out to be an expensive PAX ride then Simon smile.png

For what it's worth a Cateresque type would be where I would put my money if it were to be a track only car. The rear engine Elise platform makes  a fantastic car but the weight advantage would seal it for me.

How about a Fisher Fury Fireblade 

Edit :

I know nothing about them but this Sylva Striker  is an  awesome looking piece of kit

Jochner_Sylva_Striker1a.JPG

That Sylva does look nice Russ, the issue I can see is similar to an Elise.   They both have the problem that the bodywork is made from large pieces of GRP that if knocked end up being expensive to fix due to their size / one piece nature.

I see this as a big plus for the Caterham/Westfield/Atom/Zenos style cars with the cycle wings (and much less bodywork overall).

I know I sound like I plan on crashing through every cone, and I hope people don't get that impression... I'm definitely intending to keep it in one piece and on the racetrack, just being aware mishaps happen. :(

Archived