litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exige Jacking Advice

MilnerR

I'm in the process of doing an overwinter refresh of my Exige. (I know it's nearly June.... Time has gotten away from me).

The front is up on axel stands and currently has no wheels or suspension components on. I'm wanting to make a start on the back (I'm waiting for some parts to come back from the shot blasters) and so I'm asking for advice on safely getting the back of the car on stands. Initially I was going to use the rear jack points and do one side at a time but I'm not sure how stable the car will be with no wheels, no suspension and no clam on the front. Am I better to be patient and get the front finished? Or can a get the back on stands and take the rear clam off with causing thousands of £ worth of damage?

Also how easy is it to get the rear clam off without removing the wheels?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Do not use the rear jacking points on the chassis, the car tends to rock on those quite easily even with the front end complete. I used the rear sub-frame (with under-tray removed) when i did mine but I would check your owners manual, that should give you the correct locations.

Jacking points "D" i used, I just checked my manual (1998 elise), You may be ok using points "C" as well (rear chassis cross member) but I would think the further back the better. do not use points "A". You also have to be careful using four axle stands as the weight of the car tends to only sit on three of them, one will always be loose. I used two large lengths of wood to stuff under the chassis as far back as possible as a just in case. I really don't like getting under cars!

Thanks for that, I've checked the workshop manual and I'm going to go with jacking point D, take one wheel off, whizz the wheel arch liner out put the wheel back on and do the other side. 

urmmm, I was thinking more of axle stand positions, I should have read the original post properly and I wouldn't want to give bad advise on an issue like that.  If you use a trolley jack then it will tend to pull the car towards you as it goes up. may pull it off the front axle stands.

I really just want to get the rear clam off. My original plan was to get the front finished and the wheels back on and then start on the back, but I'm getting impatient to see what needs doing under the rear clam, therefore I was going to take it off this weekend, but I'm in a lather of indecision about the best (and safest way) to do it with the front on axle stands. 

Thanks for the advice, I'm going to go and give it another coat of looking at.....

Archived