litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Tall Elise Drivers

aran

Hi

I recently popped down to the Central Lotus open day to see if I could if in an Elise and unfortunately I found I was too tall (6ft 4).

My legs were rubbing against the steering wheel so I could not operate the pedals or the wheel properly. I was wondering if there are any other tall drivers who have made some modifications to be able to fit and drive an elise?

I was hoping to find someone who has lowered the driver seat and perhaps extended the steering wheel so that there is more room.

Sorry if this has been discussed before but I could not find anything on the search feature.

Many thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

S1 or S2?

I am 6ft 3 (with long legs) and the only elise I can fit in is an S1 with the original cloth or leather seat that basically puts you as low as possible when using the standard runners. All other seats in an S1 (i.e. 111s) and all S2 seats I cannot fit comfortably and like you my legs rub on the steering wheel.

There are aftermarket seats you can buy that will position you lower (i.e. Tillett B5) as you can use fixed runners, or you can modify the original runners to lower you approx 1 inch.

6ft 4 here....must admit I rub in my current car. You just learn different positions and then it's ok... :-)

Your best solution is a quick release steering wheel and a 20/40mm spacer.. Had this in my previous and it was perfect....

**** after reading that first part, it sounds so so wrong, but you get my drift I'm sure.....

6ft 4 here....must admit I rub in my current car. You just learn different positions and then it's ok... :-)

Your best solution is a quick release steering wheel and a 20/40mm spacer.. Had this in my previous and it was perfect....

**** after reading that first part, it sounds so so wrong, but you get my drift I'm sure.....YEP!

I'm 6' 2" and had a quick release steering wheel fitted with a spacer that brought the wheel out about 30mm in my old S2 exige.  Made all the difference and I could drive all day in the car very comfortably.

I'm also 6'4, and i find it okay.  I have to adopt the "man-spreading" position a little bit, but it's quite liberating :)  (I'm assuming here that the elise is exactly the same interior dimensions as the exige, pretty certain it is?)   The only concession i've have to make is that i drive without shoes on.  It gives you a lot more flexibility around the pedals, and everything's light enough that it's not a problem.  To be honest i've started driving my other cars barefoot now because i like it so much  

Only problem is when it's raining and you get wet carpet, then wet feet from that :(

6' 3.75" here...

It's not ideal, but certainly doable.

Done a 2.5 hr drive non stop and it was ok.

As has been mentioned, type of footwear makes a big difference as to how much overall room you have.

I'm also 6'4, and i find it okay.  I have to adopt the "man-spreading" position a little bit, but it's quite liberating :)  (I'm assuming here that the elise is exactly the same interior dimensions as the exige, pretty certain it is?)   The only concession i've have to make is that i drive without shoes on.  It gives you a lot more flexibility around the pedals, and everything's light enough that it's not a problem.  To be honest i've started driving my other cars barefoot now because i like it so much  

Only problem is when it's raining and you get wet carpet, then wet feet from that :(

Stik, you need to get together with Scatty. He loves to peel his Lotus in his pyjamas after dark. Maybe he could work on the dead skin on your feet ;)

I'm 6ft 1ins (with bare feet) but find that I've got loads of room in the Elise, and even with the hard top fitted I've got loads of head room too.  Never, ever felt cramped and can literally drive all day without any discomfort.  What did you say... "lucky b**tard" ?  Yep, I have to agree!!

PS Anyone want to buy a nearly new Citroen C1??  Goes like stink it does.

Thanks everyone! 

It would be good to find a way to make me fit as the elise has always been a favourite of mine.

Not exactly sure which model I am after yet but something reliable. Might give it a second try with some driving shoes.

Aran, sorry I have only just seen this, I am 6.2 and I have an S1 with 340r seat shells, they sit me 30mm lower and with a slight tilt back.

I also have 60mm of spacers on the steering wheel and its perfect, I have now got a 330 Oreca steering wheel on.

I'm 6'3, and the biggest problem I find is that the edge of the sill is hard edged and really uncomfortable in the S2 and newer. (The S1 is better in this regard, despite the deeper sills)

As Stik says no way I can sit with my legs out straight, so you end up resting your right leg on the sill, and coming at the pedal from an angle.

Now I have got used to it, I don't find the position itself as uncomfortable. However if doing long trips I tend to pad that area of the sill with a jumper or similar. to prevent constant knocking of the outside of my shins.

Other than thin soled shoes, which I wouldn't drive the car without, I also found cruise control was a major blessing on motorways as it meant I could move my legs around.  I guess this depends on which variant you go for, as I'm not sure when it became available (minimum guess would be later Toyota engined cars with electronic throttle control)

Overall I find the car comfortable enough, to the point my longest single day driving the car saw 600 miles go past ;)

Archived