litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Suspension Refurb Finished.....and Then

Johnny Boy

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jody, What inlet manifold are you using ? Plastic or Alloy, would alloy be better anyone ?

I have the plastic one on Jonny, I did recently remove all the plastic flash inside! I was quite surprised it got fitted that way!

I've heard you can loose low end torque fitting the ally one.

I tried a large bore 340r janspeed exhaust manifold and the engine was flat! Even with the 135 cans in.

Unless you can get a small bore I would just fettle an S2 manifold etc.

I think just adding the 135 cams and keeping quite a std engine is a great place to stop modding the engine other wise it can/will spiral into an expensive continuous upgrade process!

If you need any help fitting the 135 cam dizzy spigot give me a shout.

Just inspected block and had a quick measure of liner heights, they are virtually flush with block, struggling to get .04 mm feeler gauge in anywhere.

Does this means the block will need to be machined down ?

I have read that to use MLS gasket, liners need to be between 3 and 5 thou to seal, but if liners are lower or flush the SLS gasket can be used.

Has anyone done the latter ?

Jody, Just fitting spigot to 135 cam got it lined up as best I can per the diagram, does it have to be spot on 10 degrees per diagram, if it is slightly out will that not upset ignition timing ?

Thanks for info, I have measured as best I can and it seems to be about 10 degrees.

How did you go about it ?

Initially I marked spigot and cam at  0 degrees and 180 degrees there was a slot at 180 degrees on spigot, then marked spigot and cam at 350 degrees, fettled spigot with file and drifted in with a hammer and socket. Wish I had taken more prep now.

Measured and re measured spigot, it looks right, have been advised I am overly worried re accuracy of spigot fitting. 

Fitted clutch slave cylinder support bracket, just starting on PRRT (remote thermostat) and am studying cooling systems diagrams and info to familiarise myself with functionality.

Installed PRRT re instructions (EliseParts), have removed old stat, just fitted metal coolant rail back to block.

When I removed inlet manifold I noticed injectors on 3 and 4 were leaking

Always suspected some injectors were as has black marks around exhaust and used to spit on tickover.

Have sourced some new injectors and will fit, may have look at plastic inlet manifold to see if I can fettle it a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick update, fitted new gasket, brand new head (came with new springs, valves etc),  

In the end I used Competition steel gasket, new bolts, 135 cams, new followers, new oil filter, new oil, flushed system with Forte Bio degreaser + 2 additional clean water flushes, filled coolant, bled system as best I could without pressure bleed equipment.

Done 200 miles over last week, revs all way to 6500 where previously tailed off after 5500 so am happy with result.

Never done this before so took time had good assistance from few people so good learning experience

Am looking to build another/spare engine now with at least 160 bhlp.

Might look at new blocks from EliseParts, never done this before either but would feel more comfortable with spare engine ready to go in case of another HGF

Feels like performance has increased by 10-15 bhp but could be placebo effect

Was at Curborough on Saturday and it normally goes across line at 81/82 mph with just me in it

It went across line at 83 mph (gps) with a passenger who weighs 85kgs

It went over line 84/85 with just me in but difficult to look at speedo when you have to brake hard

to exit track at paddock

• 2 weeks later...

Archived