litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S1 Suspension Refurb Finished.....and Then

Johnny Boy

Did have a read through it last year, will have a scan again, really want to get the car up and running again so don't want too much down time but would be a shame not to try and obtain 10 - 15 bhp. the piper cams do not have a spigot either, will have a look at them again tomorrow.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry guys I assumed the new head was modified. 135 cams on a standard head and mems works fine (even without verniers or offset dowels, just chuck 'em in). Jody and I both have these cams and while there may be slightly better options out there their usp is that it is a really cheap way to more or less guarantee another 15 bhp.

I paid £130 for mine Martin is a decent chap and let me have them at mates rates but you could still find a pair on ebay for similar. Heck you might even find a complete 135 engine and if you do I will buy the rest of it off you!

Dean, did have some 135 cams off me i had come across   :)   Just for clarity im not on a mission to flog the VVC exhaust cams i just remembered i had them in my garage. I have a compulsive unheathy habit of buying K series bits   laugh.png

Looks like it's going t be a balance of grabbing touch more bhp or getting it back on road to enjoy spring summer, will look at sourcing 135 cams and getting spigot fitted. Car is performing well as is, need to crack, get head off, measure liner heights etc. Will keep you posted.

Was in need of clean in this pic.

post-5528-0-89754500-1458767414_thumb.jpg

Hi Jonny, the dizzy drive spigot can be bought from Elise parts or Elise shop.

Fitting is a doddle 2 fitted both spot on.

Mine came from eBay and were really good condition and the Secound set from the same seller.

I belive there is some with them on there now.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-TF-Lotus-Elise-135-Cams-Camshafts-Cam-Shafts-Pair-K-Series-Engine-Upgrade-/231875285067?nav=SEARCH

They really are worth doing, a slight loss in low end torque but so marginal! But such better mid range power and an extra 1000 rpm top end to play with ;)

Hi Jonny, the dizzy drive spigot can be bought from Elise parts or Elise shop.

Fitting is a doddle 2 fitted both spot on.

Mine came from eBay and were really good condition and the Secound set from the same seller.

I belive there is some with them on there now.

http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/MG-TF-Lotus-Elise-135-Cams-Camshafts-Cam-Shafts-Pair-K-Series-Engine-Upgrade-/231875285067?nav=SEARCH

They really are worth doing, a slight loss in low end torque but so marginal! But such better mid range power and an extra 1000 rpm top end to play with wink.png

About time you turned up     :)

Hopefully picking up some 135 cams tomorrow 70k miles and good price, just assembling plenty of parts and when head comes off assess way forward, these words are post 2 cans and 2 glasses of wine....ha...ha...

Sounds good Jonny!

When I put the cams in mine I noticed a pretty big difference - it revs much better after 5000 now, pulling much harder. Before I would change up at 6000 because it was all over by then but now I am changing up at about 6800. There is definitely more power top end but there is a corresponding and noticeable loss of torque below 4000.

I liked the torque it had before, it helped on track exiting those two and a half gear corners (in third) but the engine now has a more sporting character. I think they are a really good mod, especially for the money.

I also asked Gav to remove the worst of the excess weld from the inside of the exhaust manifold which probably helped things a tad. With that and the cams the engine sounds quite a bit different after 4000 revs now - much more hard - edged and aggressive. It makes a sort of blatting noise that I really like.

Sounds good Jonny!

When I put the cams in mine I noticed a pretty big difference - it revs much better after 5000 now, pulling much harder. Before I would change up at 6000 because it was all over by then but now I am changing up at about 6800. There is definitely more power top end but there is a corresponding and noticeable loss of torque below 4000.

I liked the torque it had before, it helped on track exiting those two and a half gear corners (in third) but the engine now has a more sporting character. I think they are a really good mod, especially for the money.

I also asked Gav to remove the worst of the excess weld from the inside of the exhaust manifold which probably helped things a tad. With that and the cams the engine sounds quite a bit different after 4000 revs now - much more hard - edged and aggressive. It makes a sort of blatting noise that I really like.

Dean what's interesting is my torque loss is very marginal and comes back around 3000... And then pulls until 7000!

Maybe it's the direct ignition vs the distributor drive, I could of added a slight extra lift by the spigot fitting position.

My exhaust manifold has been switched to an S2 version and coresponding down pipe which has also been fettled to within an inch of its life!

I have a piper small bore manifold that I need to get on but finding the time is a challenge at the min!

The head is off, not inspected as did not finish until late (8.00pm) yesterday.

As to what goes back on, I have the following;

Original head and cams yet to be inspected

Head of Caterham low miles, good condition has Piper Supersport Cams inlet lgc206240 and Exhaust lgc206260n

Also sourced 135 cams with head and pulleys

The lift/duration on Piper cams is less than 135's, am also considering EP stepped bore manifold, possibly change Thermostat to PRT

Probably have bit of tidy up whilst there is increased access

I am not convinced that all aftermarket exhaust manifolds make improvements. I have heard too many stories of people fitting them and losing power & torque. It strikes me that understanding how pulsed exhaust gases flow, and what size/shape of pipework will extract those gasses best must be a really complicated business. I imagine manufacturers actually do the sums and use software that actually informs the design process whereas I bet a fair few of the aftermarket people just make educated guesses.

I could be wrong though.

If it were me in your shoes I would source and fettle a bit an s2 manifold and stick with your plastic inlet as alloy ones apparently affect torque and don't help.

Archived