litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Exige Tyres.... Kin'ell The Yoko Ao48's Are A Bit Pricey

John FISH Curtis

​Rear's on the Exige are into the wear limit marker.

They are Yoko AO48's with Elise Parts selling just the rears for £446.09 + VAT.

Found this from TyreLeader for £352.18 inch VAT............ https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/cart/?t%5B0%5D=tyre&i%5B0%5D=94858&mount=0&q%5B0%5D=2

Other option is buy a full set of tires but different (as in cheaper) type/manufacturer but budget is max £500.00

Its not tracked, only fast road and approx. 2000 miles/year.

Fed up searching Google, eBay etc.

What say MLOC?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Have you tried My tyres...I think the 48's are a touch cheaper..

For the use it gets, I think I would keep the 48's on and just shell out for the rear ones...if the fronts are fine I don't see the point of getting 4 new ones....

I was speaking to Jon at Legacy Storm on Monday and I'm sure he said he had a part worn set of A048's for an Exige. Could be worth a try bearing in mind the limited mileage, dependant on the price

Toyo 888's usually cheaper. Same type of tyre and similar grip so you could run different brands front to rear. Buy GG compound not SG

I never wore out a front set of a048's in 70,000 miles (probably 10-15 sets of rears!) But I changed them several times as the heat cycles had made them hard. The extra grip from new fronts was amazing.

Depending on mileage on fronts you might want to buy 4 to get the best from the car!

Toyo 888's usually cheaper. Same type of tyre and similar grip so you could run different brands front to rear. Buy GG compound not SG

I never wore out a front set of a048's in 70,000 miles (probably 10-15 sets of rears!) But I changed them several times as the heat cycles had made them hard. The extra grip from new fronts was amazing.

Depending on mileage on fronts you might want to buy 4 to get the best from the car!

There are a set of 888 GG compounds in the classifieds but slightly unsure about mixing front/rear tyre brands...... even though they are very similar treads and compounds.

Sorry fish, the my tyres are £378 for two... I had put in front sizes by mistake...

Demon tweeks are even more. And camskill are out of stock... Adams and page might be worth a phone all .

Fish if you aren't going to be hooning around as such, then slap the 888 on...

Although mixing tyres is like seeing a stripper in beige bra and blue knickers.... ;-)

** does the job but looks dreadfull.

Worth checking the dates on the front 048's, binned mine last year with loads of tread as they were 7 years old.

I stuck with the 048's though the 888's seem to be a good slightly cheaper option, but still over £500.

I'm going with Yoko AD08R on a spare set of wheels which are under £400 fitted.

Only downside is they are only available in 205 on the front, may make contact with the arch liners more of an issue. 

Personally, not keen on fitting second hand tyres, for me its a risk not worth taking. 

If you want to stick with a track focused tyre then I would change them all for ZZR's, These are more progressive in my opinion and offer the same if not more, Much cheaper the 48's and you could sell the unworn fronts.

If the car is used on the road mostly then AD08R's are the best option, I did this on my RGB and was very happy, I even did a track day at Le Mans on a very hot day and I have to say the grip level was stunning. The only negative is the fronts are not available in the original size but as others can confirm there are no issues with this, i.e. they don't rub the arch's if the ride height is std. 

@ndy thumbs_up.gif

Ho john.

I ran 48's up front and 888 rears for over 12 months and a couple of track days whilst my fronts wore out, and actually preferred it to 48 all round. Difference for my modest driving style was negligible but found the rears broke away a bit more progressively on the 888. Which I preferred as it gave me more chance of catching it / responding too it rather than the more all or nothing feel of the 48's. I swooped to 888 all round when time came and had the added bonus of no front wheel shake that the 48's gave due to the well documented balancing issues.

All imho of course

The

Rich

Fish if you aren't going to be hooning around as such, then slap the 888 on...

Although mixing tyres is like seeing a stripper in beige bra and blue knickers.... ;-)

** does the job but looks dreadfull.

Scatty wrong thread you should have posted that in the Milf thread : )

Archived