litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Search For Service History

AndyWR

This is more a question with a technical dimension, although I'm not sure it fits squarely in any other area, so here goes...

I took a chance buying a Cat D repaired 2005 111s after giving it a thorough inspection, and am now trying to put together its previous service history.

It's a one-owner 26k mile car that's obviously been well looked after, so I hoped it would be an easy task. Sadly, the former owner has not responded to my letter asking him for details (assuming he's still at the V5 address that is), so I'm starting to think about the best ways to go about my research.

I can't be alone in doing this sort of thing - I'd be grateful for your advice as to useful avenues to pursue.

The car is a grey 111s VX05ELJ that lived its first life in Leicestershire with a Jonathan Bell.

Thanks

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The insurance company will have sold it after paying out to the original owner - I bought it from the guy that did the repair who hadn't had the log book passed on by the insurance company.

I went through the experience when someone drove into the back of my BMW, the insurance company were only interested in the mandated stuff - if you don't leave the log book in the car, they don't ask you for it. They will then probably put it through an auction house sold as seen - it's a good way to get a bargain if you're prepared to take a risk, especially with all the on-line checks you can do in minutes these days.

Anyway, it's always worth piecing together a service history when there clearly been one. I've asked the same question on SELOC where I normally post.

Thanks

Pop into a Lotus dealer and see what they have on the system. I've done this on cars in the past and managed to get print outs of all service receipts, notes on recall work etc.

That's all really helpful, thanks. Unfortunately u2u messages are not available to him, but there are a couple of references to Brook Kensington and Gulielmi Motorsport in his old posts so I'll start there.

That's all really helpful, thanks. Unfortunately u2u messages are not available to him, but there are a couple of references to Brook Kensington and Gulielmi Motorsport in his old posts so I'll start there.

Brookes are really helpful. Up untill my ownership mine had always been looked after there. A quick call when buying the car and they couldn't be more helpful with all old invoices and condition of the car.

Good luck

I emailed Steve Guglielmi and Brookes - Steve emailed back to let me know he has the car's history. He's moving units this week so really good of him to take the time to offer to send me printed records when he must be very busy. I have a blank service book so will get it stamped up.

Success! Thanks very much for your help.

Archived