Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Elise Geometry

DeanB

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My S2 Exige was at Tollbar a few days later, what a lardy beast it is in comparison. Nearly full tank and me (77 kg) and was just over 1000kg. No attempts at making it lighter, winter Y-wheels, normal battery, touring, sports and charger. It was even heavier but then I removed my toolkit from the boot. Last done three years ago, back was 2mm low and Nsf had moved to toe out, otherwise where they set it last time.

My S1 Exige was there today but one of the adjusters on the Nitrons was stuck (some fool - me- out some threadlock on it to stop it turning on full droop). Need to go back when I have a new platform and we can cut the old one off. Think I will get them to change the drive shafts as well, one of them has not been the same since the cv gaiter split at Donington.

When my S1 was weighed at its mot it was reported as 735kg, I will find out soon if the machine was correct. It was some tester thing which checked the brakes and reported the weight.

I don't know about Stoke but you could have a ride over to Tollbar in Darley Dale - if you go via Leek, Warslow, Hartington, Winster it is a pretty spectacular run.

Be warned though if you do go to Tollbar make sure that everything that needs to be free for adjustment is free - if anything is seized or broken you will probably have to go back again.

i am looking at the tillet  b5's too dean, maybe a group buy ?. handbag has a set in her elise and they fit me perfectly (6, 2 and 12 1/2 stone, slim frame, they didn't even need scatty padding :))

i even have a contact via go cart racing to mr tillet that i could use if enough folk are interested ??

richbk

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dean,

Did you fit riser plates on the steering rack when you lowered it? My Ride height is very similar and I didn't fit the riser plates as we didn't have time, plus I didn't fancy getting stuck upside down in the foot well, I was in two minds, but in hind sight, I wish I had as I seem to get bump steer on undulating or bumpy country roads to the point where I slow down, and other cars don't (usually in the wet - I'm a bag of nerves over errmm 60 or so).

As you know I'm a S2 with a NA Honda, running Nitron 46's on 425FR 550RR (I think 425FR are a touch too hard for road use), running Exige rims AD08 205FR 225RR. I've some 888's in the loft and some cup 260 rims (black) but I'm a tart and like the silver rims better so never used/tried them, suppose I should really.

Anyway, my geo is a bit more track focused, and it turns in well, but perhaps at the expense of slight weaving over bumps etc. so it may need softening. Also, high speed turns (interchanges on mways etc) seem just a little less confidence inspiring than pre-geo, as now very slight steering adjustments can be felt immediately in the line. I screwed up and didn't get a print out, before swapping out the rear toe links for motorsport ones and adjusting front & rear toe, but it was quite a bit out.

I said I'd do a trackday or two before changing the geo again, but I buggered my shoulder up and it hurt all last summer so I never managed to do any. I've still 4 track days to use up on my insurance before renewal in may, so I need to pull my finger out.

Here is my Geo - (it's in degrees not mm).

Edit'd to spin image right way up.

post-2454-0-03434900-1456872892_thumb.jpg

Hi Dean,Did you fit riser plates on the steering rack when you lowered it? My Ride height is very similar and I didn't fit the riser plates as we didn't have time, plus I didn't fancy getting stuck upside down in the foot well, I was in two minds, but in hind sight, I wish I had as I seem to get bump steer on undulating or bumpy country roads to the point where I slow down, and other cars don't (usually in the wet - I'm a bag of nerves over errmm 60 or so).As you know I'm a S2 with a NA Honda, running Nitron 46's on 425FR 550RR (I think 425FR are a touch too hard for road use), running Exige rims AD08 205FR 225RR. I've some 888's in the loft and some cup 260 rims (black) but I'm a tart and like the silver rims better so never used/tried them, suppose I should really.Anyway, my geo is a bit more track focused, and it turns in well, but perhaps at the expense of slight weaving over bumps etc. so it may need softening. Also, high speed turns (interchanges on mways etc) seem just a little less confidence inspiring than pre-geo, as now very slight steering adjustments can be felt immediately in the line. I screwed up and didn't get a print out, before swapping out the rear toe links for motorsport ones and adjusting front & rear toe, but it was quite a bit out.I said I'd do a trackday or two before changing the geo again, but I buggered my shoulder up and it hurt all last summer so I never managed to do any. I've still 4 track days to use up on my insurance before renewal in may, so I need to pull my finger out.Here is my Geo - (it's in degrees not mm).Edit'd to spin image right way up.

I didn't fit riser plates. So far it seems ok without - it's not as low as some.

I'm very far from an expert on set up but I will say that stiffer springs will inevitably adversely affect the ride and in almost every scenario the overall handling, feel and steering on the road. If you want a good road car leave it standard. If you want a good track car modify.

I changed the springs on my 46mm Nitrons to 475 / 400 IIRC as i use it a lot on the road. Its a lot softer ride with AD08R as compared to ZZR on the road as well.

Martin, what were the spring rates before, and how much difference did it make for you on road/track?

I wanted to track my car more than I did, but still use it for summer road/commutes, so I decided on the 425/550, the lesser of the TD range (550 because the Honda lump is heavier, plus I plan to add SC and CC), I was in two minds whether to go 400/500, but Guy at Nitron said you shouldn't go lower than 425 on the front 46's, and Randy said he thought 425 fronts was just right on a S2 for road use, but a few others have since changed theirs to 400 also.

After trying different settings, I found that 2 or 3 clicks from full soft on the front, and 8 or 9 from full soft on the rear was the best all round setting for me. Bear in mind that the first two clicks hardly do anything, so I thought 425 was just slightly over sprung for road use in my case. It is a little harsh on rough roads but great feel and confidence everywhere else, but I would consider trying 400 fronts, and maybe 500 rears, but I wanted to do a few trackdays first before changing them out, or modding the Geo - I was just a bit miffed that I buggered my shoulders and right knee up - ended up no TD's and no Motorbikes for me at all last year, and a knee op in October :-(

I didn't fit riser plates. So far it seems ok without - it's not as low as some.

I'm very far from an expert on set up but I will say that stiffer springs will inevitably adversely affect the ride and in almost every scenario the overall handling, feel and steering on the road. If you want a good road car leave it standard. If you want a good track car modify.

Dean, I agree, most of the mods we make over OEM are not for the general consumer, and Lotus spend ages fine tuning their spec to suit everyone. Each time you change something, it usually makes it more of a toy you have to love and less of a daily. Although a quieter Induction and Exhaust factory fit Honda, with height and 1 way adjustable Billies would have been a very sweet spot for Lotus - I guess that was catered for by the SC Exige with performance or Cup pack though.

I kept my S2 111s bog standard for 5 or years before modding it, but when that bug bites, it really bites. I loved the look of my car, I just wanted some better performance (Type R's, S3's and Fiesta ST's had the edge) and I love to change and learn from experiences.

I'm guessing it will take you a while to form an opinion on your geo/suspension, especially with this recent weather. Would be interested to see how you get on at Blyton on the 12th. I may consider it myself if I can, I've never been there - what's it like?

I have a feeling they were 475 / 550 before and IMO made them very harsh on the road. 400 / 475 seems a decent compromise and it does not wallow at all during the sprinting or track days   :)

Just tested my gel set up today at Blyton. On the ZZRs in the wet was hard work! Then popped the slicks on and was like it was on rails.. Roll on Harewood.

Ace! ☺

Archived