litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

S2 Elise Geometry

DeanB

So I had my car set up at Tollbar Racing in Darley Dale today. Some of you will know the car has had a few modifications recently including Nitron Street Series springs and dampers giving adjustable ride height and wider front wheels and tyres. Camber, toe, ride height and then corner weights were all done with me in the car.

20160130_170924.jpg

20160130_123815.jpg

20160130_113418.jpg

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The toe was quite a way out on both axles but all is well now with 1mm each side toe out on the front (measurements are taken from the outer wheel rim at the back and front, to a string line running parallel to the car. The 1mm is the difference between the front measurement and the rear measurement) and 1mm toe in at the rear.

The idea is that the toe out on the front helps initial turn - in to corners, which it certainly does. It felt much better in the twisties on the way home

The rear toe in angle reduces under acceleration as the wheels are pulled back a tad.

Michael (Tollbar's proprietor, aka Doc Brown) prescribed more camber on the front and as many shims as possible whilst retaining a balance across the car were removed.

The ride height was set to put 10 mm rake in to the car. Most race teams put rake in if a car has a flat floor and diffuser as an Elise has because it works the air better underneath the car and in theory can reduce lift at speed. It also helps bring the weight forward a bit which helps a heavily rear biased car like the elise (center of gravity? Center of pressure? If I were a chassis engineer I would know!).

It can't really go any lower for road use and the springs on the front are loose on full droop even at this height - maybe helper springs are needed, we shall see.

The corner weights were, I think, 18 kilos different across the front axle originally but are much better now - all of the readings you see are with me in the car of course. Michael says the front weights are much more important to performance than the rears.

Given that the car now has much wider and therefore heavier front wheels and tyres I am pleased with the overall weight - without it's roof it weighs 746.5 kilos with 8.5 litres of fuel (740 kg without fuel). The new Odyssey battery and removal of the stereo and four speakers helped ☺.

I will update this thread after Blyton on 12th March with my impressions of it on track if anyone is interested but for now I'm really chuffed

Dean

Martin yours should sneak below 740 with the OZs on - I think they are a fair bit lighter than the Team Dynamics.

I'm thinking about Tillet seats now with fixed mountings. How much do you reckon that would save?

Archived