litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Calling Owners Of F10/f11 Bmw 5 Series...

Daveb99

My Audi is up for sale (it's in the classifieds) as we need something bigger for family use/holidays/weekends away etc.

I've been looking at the 5 Series Touring for some time (window shopping of course) but now it's time to get more serious.

I'm looking at the F11 (post 2010, latest shape) but with a limited budget - around £15k max, and ideally less if I find the right car.

I'd ideally like a 530d, but it may just be a 520d - depends what's out there I guess.   For my budget it means fairly high milers - so the million dollar question is, would I be buying a money pit?

Any advice/help from current (or previous) owners (or anyone else who knows a lot about them!) would be much appreciated....

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hehe, sorry Steve, didn't realise you were on here as well.....laugh.png

I thought it best to cast my net far and wide, given the potential pitfalls of buying a high mileage Bimmer (my best mate, Mr Man Maths, keeps telling me the benefits will outweigh all that....)

100% get one with warranty. The age your looking at will be the N47 engine if you go 520d. From doing some research the engines still have there problems upto 2011, other things are clutch/dmf and also rear air bags on the suspension seem to fail quite alot.

I'll be taking delivery of a new 520d B47 190bhp M Sport Tourer fist week in march which I've got on personal lease.

Thanks, that A4 deal seems very good.  Is that £290 inc VAT on the Beemer?

Can't beat a bit of thread drift, half a dozen replies and now we're talking about lease prices on a new one....

My original post if of course still valid...I'm likely to go used unless the lease prices tempt me away....

Yes includes VAT, last quater there were some good deals on the 3 series tourer I missed out on so ordered a 5 instead, price went up a little as I spec'd privacy glass and manual. It's mainly going to be my other half's family car so I just lease now and forget about buying used.

£9300 for 2 years to be exact. If I were to PCP or personal loan a used car worth around £20k it would cost me more per month and gurantee after 2 years I'd want to change it and I'll have to go through the whole positive equity or not etc so I just lease now. Not the cheapest way to own cars but works for us.

I just pay X amount and forget about it. I rarely keep cars longer then 2 years so it's never going to work out that great. I did the maths before on a used car when we got the Juke, after buying a used car paying for tax and running costs associated with a used out of warranty car not to mention the higher monthly finance payments leasing just works better for me.

Archived