litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Weird Starting Issues????

Robo Elise

I have just been out for a drive in the Lotus for about an hour or so and then had a problem when I got home. I pulled up on the drive at home turned the engine off the headlights were on and got out to open the garage. I got back in the car, the drivers door was open and the headlights were still on, then turned the key and when I pressed the Start button I heard a fizzing sound the Rev counter and speedo needles went vertical and then back and the display flashed on and off. The engine wouldn't start so I took the key out tried again and same thing happened. I then turned the headlights off and left the car for 5 mins and it then started up ok. I drove it in the garage and it played up a couple of times but eventually started up. It did the fizzing sound and flashing dash a couple of times when it did play up. Just tried it after 1/2 hour and it starts absolutely fine. I did get in touch with Jon who used to be the mechanic at Stratstone Lotus and he suggested disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu. He said it could have been an electrical surge issue. As I said the headlights were on when I first tried to start it so wasn't sure if that caused the problem. It's due for a service with Jon soon so I will get it checked over.

Anybody had the same or any idea what they think it was?

Thanks

Rob

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had something similar to this with my S1.

It was fine one day the next the Stack dash was going crazy after a run with lights on etc.

The battery came back to life after a charge then died off very quickly with any load - I changed the battery & all was good again.

I had something similar to this with my S1.

It was fine one day the next the Stack dash was going crazy after a run with lights on etc.

The battery came back to life after a charge then died off very quickly with any load - I changed the battery & all was good again.

The battery is about 7 years old. It's always on a trickle charge when the car is in the garage. You reckon it needs a new one?

It is looking almost certain from this, mine was / is always on trickle too, 7 years I reckon is really good.

The only real way to find out categorically is go somewhere that has a drop tester it will instantly indicate the state beyond opinion, other than that its a game of trial replacement.

Rob

Had similar but without the fizzing on my 111S - undid the battery terminals - left for 5 mins reconnected - solved, never happened again. Worth a try for 2 mins work Rob.

HTH.

Mark

I have just been out for a drive in the Lotus for about an hour or so and then had a problem when I got home. I pulled up on the drive at home turned the engine off the headlights were on and got out to open the garage. I got back in the car, the drivers door was open and the headlights were still on, then turned the key and when I pressed the Start button I heard a fizzing sound the Rev counter and speedo needles went vertical and then back and the display flashed on and off. The engine wouldn't start so I took the key out tried again and same thing happened. I then turned the headlights off and left the car for 5 mins and it then started up ok. I drove it in the garage and it played up a couple of times but eventually started up. It did the fizzing sound and flashing dash a couple of times when it did play up. Just tried it after 1/2 hour and it starts absolutely fine. I did get in touch with Jon who used to be the mechanic at Stratstone Lotus and he suggested disconnecting the battery to reset the ecu. He said it could have been an electrical surge issue. As I said the headlights were on when I first tried to start it so wasn't sure if that caused the problem. It's due for a service with Jon soon so I will get it checked over. 
Anybody had the same or any idea what they think it was?

Thanks 
Rob

Rob

Had similar but without the fizzing on my 111S - undid the battery terminals - left for 5 mins reconnected - solved, never happened again. Worth a try for 2 mins work Rob.

HTH.

Mark

Thanks for the advice Mark and Muzza

Archived