litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Harness Bars For S2

DeanB

I am after a harness bar for my s2 but don't want to buy the wrong one. Do any of you have any recommendations? I will be using a bolt-in harness on the driver's side only, probably with some sort of motorsport seat.

On a related topic, have those of you with harnesses removed or retained the oem seatbelts? Is it possible to have both?

And (finally!) what about seat mounting? Are there any recommended solid seat mounts? My existing runners/mounts are noisy, and seeing as the car is going to be for occasional use with hopefully more trackdays now I can live without sliding the seat back to ease ingress/egress every time. I thought sitting a tad lower would be good, as would saving a bit of weight with the mounts. Any ideas?

Thanks in advance guys.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the subject of OEM seatbelts I removed mine when I fitted my harnesses but it is possible to have both fitted so long as you're not too bothered about the extra weight. Driving on the road with harnesses is generally okay but there are a couple of downsides; not being able to lean forward at awkward junctions being the main one, plus you'll never be able to make a quick get away.

Hi, I have a harness bar that it have just removed from my S2 that I've put a Saftey Device A frame and petty bar in.. It in black and good condition if your interested ? £65 delivered

Paul I have sent you a pm.

Harness bar you've got three choices.

Bolted style

Wrap around

A frame and petty bar.

If you go bolted style bar you can use both style harnessed, so I'd go for this.

Regards seat belts I've done both. On the drivers side I only ever used the harness but her indoors tended to use the standard belt.

It's not a massive job to fit both.

Your seat mounting options are gonna vary quite a bit dependant on the seats you for.

I have had a look at the MOT test regulations and they do say driver's seats have to be tested to check that they move forward and back, but it isn't 100 percent clear that it would fail if there were no mechanism to slide the seat. I expect different examiners may interpret that regulation differently.

Interestingly I couldn't find anything in the regs forbidding the use of harness belts with 'aircraft style' quick release buckles. I have often heard people say harnesses for road use had to have conventional road - belt style buckles. Maybe this is a myth?

Are there any mot testers on here that know better?

You can fit both belts and harnesses with this kit

http://www.msar.co.uk/motorsports/Race-Harnesses/Harness-Accessories/Harness-Hardware/MSAR-S111-Harness-Hardware-Lotus-Elise-Exige-_83.html

but it has to be schroth

i just thought its useful to know some bars you can just install and some require cutting of the plastic bulkhead behind the seats

I think, to pass a MOT, the harness has to have a red release button, I had the Schroth ones in my car that were specific for the Lotus and had a red release button

This is what I had heard too but I can't find mention of it in the document I found...l would like to know where it is written down if it is the law.

From when I looked if a runner is fitted it has to work ie lock in any position ( not like our works motor which slides forward every time you hit the brakes!)

If it's fixed its fixed.

Yeah harnesses need the red button, for mot.

Archived