litp.jpg

Lotus in the Peak
28th - 30th June 2024

Is There A Fun Alternative To A Lotus?

MSH

Hi All,

I've been away from here for a while after selling my Exige earlier this year (6ft, 14stone and a spinal injury meant me and it weren't compatible). I replaced it with an XKR which is superb for comfort and long distance touring. The accelaration is incredible right through the power band and 500bhp is incredible, even the better half loves it. The problem is I've been missing the kind of fun that can only be had in a small, lightweight sports car.

I'm looking for ideas for a sub 5k car that could give me that kind of driving pleasure and also be useable on track. Obviously mk1 MX5 comes straight to mind but I'd like to put it out there and see if Lotus lovers have ideas that may have escaped me.

Thanks

Mart

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm considering an MG Midget, but beware of the tin worm. I had one after I sold my Elise 111S, and giggled like a little girl as the hollywood tyres screeched around corners at half the speed of the Elise. I love them but have an odd affliction in that I like British cars!

I still have one of my other cars because its so much fun but not really a track car and many laugh at it. It's a Smart Brabus Coupe not the fastest but if you keep the revs up and the turbo on boost its fantastic., I've had mine 5 years and still love it just as much as the Elise SC in fact some times I think its better but then I shake my self and think i'm stupid, they are also a really funny little car that everyone looks at and has no idea what it is. They are a hard car to learn how to drive but when you learn how to its fantastic.

Good luck with what ever you get.

Mk3 MR2 for that mid engined rwd fun. I had a mk1 for 8 years until the tin worm took it but would have a mk3 if looking for a sub 5k fun car.

Agree with this. I had one before I got my Elise. Absolutely cracking car. A lot of fun. You just need broad enough shoulders to be able to take a few comments like "how much do you charge for a short back and sides?" ;-)

Thanks for the input.

Mk3 MR2 is a good shout but it is a bit hairdresser, although I have seen some properly quick ones about.

924/44 is also appealing but just a bit more than I want to stretch to for a relatively problem free one.

Kurt, I suffer the same affliction as you, I love Brit cars. I'm restoring an MGA coupe at the moment, I've attached a couple of pics.

It looks like it will be either MX5 or MR2 as things stand. Still after suggestions if any more pop in to people's heads.

post-5353-0-88263200-1447060418_thumb.jpeg

post-5353-0-78567500-1447060504_thumb.jpeg

I still have one of my other cars because its so much fun but not really a track car and many laugh at it. It's a Smart Brabus Coupe not the fastest but if you keep the revs up and the turbo on boost its fantastic., I've had mine 5 years and still love it just as much as the Elise SC in fact some times I think its better but then I shake my self and think i'm stupid, they are also a really funny little car that everyone looks at and has no idea what it is. They are a hard car to learn how to drive but when you learn how to its fantastic.

Good luck with what ever you get.

Couldn't agree more... small, ultra lightweight - bags of luggage space (frunk + glass-house) and surprisingly quick. The 700cc Brabus lump can be re-flashed to 130bhp with significantly improved torque. With a specific output of 150ps/litre, nothing much gets close to that much fun for the money.

It had its faults... Including semi-auto clutch that requires frequent recalibration of the bite-point, tridion cell that leaks water into SAM, and really soft rims. Other than that - great fun!

Never really been able to get enthusiastic about the whole Smart Car concept. I know the theory is sound, especially for city drivers, but somehow they don't gel with me. The Brabus does sound a lot of fun though!

I have to be honest, I do keep coming back to the MX5. A well sorted one with forced induction is looking like it could be a lot of car for a little money.

It's looking like the popular choice is popular for a reason.

Never really been able to get enthusiastic about the whole Smart Car concept. I know the theory is sound, especially for city drivers, but somehow they don't gel with me. The Brabus does sound a lot of fun though!

I have to be honest, I do keep coming back to the MX5. A well sorted one with forced induction is looking like it could be a lot of car for a little money.

It's looking like the popular choice is popular for a reason.

In part, yep, I agree with you. Unlike the Roadster and Coupe, which are essentially a conventional mid-engine two-seater layout (in Brabus form are water charge-cooled turbo three) ultra-lightweight - with more similarities than differences to the Elise - the super compact and very, very different 4-2 Smarties take some adjustment!

The Coupe has more luggage space than you'd believe - from recollection, 190 litres at the back, plus another 60 at the front (similar layout concept to a Cayman), plus electric retractable fabric roof and/or removable targa top. Late model 2005 Xclusive models are pretty well sorted, the Brabus Xclusive being very, very rare - and masses of fun at sensible speeds.

Archived